Forum

Amazing B sides

Over the past few years I have started to collect some fantastic vinyl 45s again. Some have been bought from car boot sales for next to nothing and others I have paid a few quid for, although to be honest I have not paid more than £12 yet. I already had quite a few great Soul and R&B singles from my early Mod days and have often been amazed at just how good some of the B sides are on these tracks. I will start off with the B side to a record I have had since 1982. 'Mockingbird' by Inez Foxx was the first record released on the British Sue label in 1963 (as far as I am aware), as well as the main track being superb the B side called 'He's the one You Love' is fantastic too. So what are your own favourite B sides to these crackin records.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Being the beach bum that I have now become, this track is right up my street! This is going on my surfing playlist for summer... Great post Becs ;0)

• You've haven't been to our beaches in Victoria, Gaz! However, considering it's been an excruiating summer at the moment, I wouldn't blame you for wantingvto stay indoors... :-) Glad you liked the track!

• That is a really good track MG, and one that I have never before. I have also never even heard of the band so it is always great to hear something new. I have been buying a decent amount of records recently but the b sides have mostly been not anything great. One exception to that rule is a record i bought last week by Fontella Bass and Bobby McClure. The A side is brilliant and is called 'You'll Miss Me.' The B side is every bit as good as far as I am concerned and is called 'Don't Jump.' Well worth checking out on youtube or some similar place.

• I thought the same as I only discovered earlier this week, also...

• Great find Becs, well done.

• A superb track Chris. Anything with these two on is sure to spark interest. A great collaboration and post mate ;0)

• Cheers Gary. I have only heard a few of their collaborations but I shall certainly pay more notice to their tracks in the future.

• Recently bought a really good track called 'I Want You Round by Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston. Its on the yellow Tamla label from 1964. The B side 'What Good Am I Without You' is a great record too and well worth a listen.

• A nice purchase there Chris with a cracking B side. On further inspection this title (must have been something in the water at the time) threw up some interesting sides also well worth a listen. Smokey Robinson & Mary Wells, no slouches themselves in the vocal department, did the original version but this Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston rendition, is far superior in my humble opinion. I also wonder what it would have sounded like with Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell? Just a thought...

• Some fantastic songs there Gary. I had heard the Jackie Wilson one before but not the others. The Darrow Fletcher one has that classic Northern Soul sound.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: