Forum

Automatic 'Twist n Go' scooter

Ok even before you have read my post, the title of this discussion is already making the true mods and scooter boys foam at the mouth. I know it is sacrilege but for reasons that I won't go into I am looking to get my first ever scooter (at the age of 43) and it has to be an automatic,125 cc with around £3,000 budget. Primarily I'll be using it to commute short distance to work and for nipping out for a quick run around on sunny afternoons. So if you have got this far in reading this without the urge to track me down and publicly humiliate me I am looking for some advice. In an ideal world I would love a 60's Vespa GS as an automatic (those curvy sensual lines are just so alluring). Having scoured what's out there in terms of automatic scooters that still pay some homage to MOD styling (albeit some dodgy quality and brands) I have the following options :LML star 125Necco abruzzi 125Lambretta LN 125Vespa PX 125Ok I know the above list has probably made most of you laugh hysterically or want to send someone round to knock some sense in me, but at least I'm honest in my naivety. I have also come across a couple of websites that 'convert' PX's with replicas body kits of GS's and was wandering is that a better option.So there you have it...tell me what you think, your folks advice is truly respected and before I make a right tit of myself and buy something that will mean I will get laughed off the road by the scooter bourgeoisie, I am hoping you will point me in the right direction.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I`ve only ever had one scooter in my whole life, I was 16 years old and it was  a Lambretta  GP, courtesy of my brother-in-law who upgraded to an SX, I believe the GP was a 1968 model, resprayed by my brother-in-law in racing green with gold GP decals. Sadly I spent more time pushing it than riding it, so I sold it for pennies, past my driving test and bought a mini  1275 GT instead, regrettably in Russet brown, because I didn`t want to wait for a better colour to come along. Saying that recently I have considered buying another, not a classic however, because the are just silly money now, maybe an auto for no other reason than I suffer with arthritis in my back, neck and wrists and not having to change gear might be more comfy for me ;-)

• I've been riding scooters and motorbikes since a young teenager Al. Don't be fooled by the modern auto Vespa, it's a very responsive beast of a scooter mate, especially anything over the 125cc mark and even those have some poke to them. If you've a dodgy back, neck and wrist, be careful as you will find a massive difference to the Lambretta GP you had at sixteen. So do plenty of homework before you purchase and I am sure whatever you go for, you will enjoy. The freedom of the open road on two wheels on a sunny day is as fun as it gets ;0)  

• Cheers Gary, I will do mate, as I never did pass my test either, a 125 will have to suffice ;-)

• I passed my motorbike test a few decades ago Al, as did my Mrs. I've a 250GTV which has got a decent pull and top end on it!

I'd be interested to see what you end up with, have fun mate. Fun being the operative word :0D 

•  

• Some nice machines here Gary, especially the Abarth in the last pic ;-)

• A very nice motor Al. If I remember correctly you have a goodlookin' red Abarth? I tried to persuade my daughter to go for a nice looking black Fiat Abarth but she went for a Mini Cooper Works instead. How are you getting on with yours mate?

• Getting on great Gary, showed many bigger more powerful cars a clean pair of heels, mainly due to my superior power to weight ratio.......Ha-ha. Yes choice of motor all down to the prospective buyer I suppose and the Cooper probably having a better rep for reliability, saying that, I guy I work with traded his Cooper in for an Abarth and likes the Abarth a lot better, I certainly think it,s more asthetically pleasing than the Cooper, as I feel the latest Mini,s bear little resemblance to the originals, a damn sight more reliable though ;-)

• I think the soul of the mini is still in there Al, just a bit more safety and tasty. Also, it doesn't get as bullied on the roads anymore.

This is my daughters little beauty, the John Cooper Works Aero...

• Yes the S works is a beast Gary, being German they will be a lot more robust than the classic rust buckets of yesteryear too, but I love the Ferrari connection that my little car has, albeit however small, as mine was a limited edition it was graced with a few little extras, which includes the paint colour, Ferrari designed alloys and a nice little Italian flag insert on the leather steering wheel, not life changing or performance enhancing additions, but just small additions that make me smile, something I don,t do a lot of these days.,.....Ha-ha. Despite all that, I test drove the new VW "UP" GTI, the other day, maybe going German too before long ;-)

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: