Forum

Replies

• To me it is similar to picking a favourite record, it keeps changing. A week ago I never knew who Barbara Dane was now she is a singer I rate very highly. There are so many contenders for me, Otis Redding, Solomon Burke, Smokey Robinson, Little Richard, or Stevie Marriot or Winwood for white soul singers. Women such as Aretha, Martha Reeves, Mary Wells, Nina Simone, or Dusty Springfield. There are loads more amazing examples of incredible singers who are not so well known. Surprised nobody had mentioned Noddy Holder ha ha
    • And Noddy started off so well...

https://youtu.be/9TzAcE5F_NQ

• As far as I know they were a Modish sort of band a few years before they adopted the skinhead look Gary but not sure if they were under the same name. I have a bit of a soft spot for Slade as I liked them when I was very young. I still think Noddy had a decent voice although I would not put him in any greatest list.
    • Ha, ha, neither would I Chris. I love Noddy Holder (The son of a window cleaner and proud), Noddy's a national treasure mate. 

The N' Betweens, not the best mod band in the world but they gave it a go and as for Slade, what more can be said? A top british 70's band, that many a kid jumped about to down at the local youth club ;0)

• Yeah i have to agree that Noddy is a great character Gary. We used to jump about to Slade and all sorts of other crazy music at the famous St Stephens primary school disco in Sighthill, with our flares, platforms, and star jumpers. Mod cool does not get a look in with that gear ha ha
    • I'm ever proud to say I never owned a pair of platforms or stacks, as they were sometimes called round our way. Wedges with brummies was as good or as high off the ground shoe wise or trousers wide that I got in the early 70's. I loved those star jumpers and I would have killed for a 'Budgie' jacket... ha, ha   

• I just can't pick out a fave best ever because there are so many that I love, but these two are at the forefront in their own inimitable way.

• Interesting how the terminology changes. This is a gospel/spiritual number of African origin adopted by the Civil Rights movement.

When I hear Mahalia Jackson sing it, it seems to me that I am hearing the origins of blues or jazz. I have never separated them in my mind.  I think jazz is the blues and jazz is the blues, vise versa. Only an opinion of course.

Even Sarah Vaughan was originally a gospel singer. 

• Needs some thought this, Otis Redding sure had a voice on him. Blue eyed soul there's only Steve Marriott.
    • Otis, along with Smokey are probably my fave  soul singers, but yes I`ve got say, for a tiny white geezer Steve Marriot had one Hell of a voice, a pint sized icon, in my book ;-)

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: