Forum

Best of 2010

Many thanks first of all to everybody who took part in the poll. The full results are posted HERE.

With Friday Street proclaimed BEST CLUB and Glasgow Mods Weekender BEST EVENT there may appear to be some Glasgow bias on the site, but there's no denying that Friday Street is not only 'Scotland's Best Mod Club' but also one of the top mod clubs in the UK! It's also no surprise that three events organised by The New Untouchables shared second place in the best events category, nor that their release 'Le Beat Bespoke 4' was voted BEST COMPILATION. You only have to see the number of young faces at any of their events to know New Untouchables is one organisation that is taking mod into the 21st Century.

In any year when Paul Weller is on tour and has a new release it's not too hard to predict that he will top a mod poll for BEST NEW RELEASE and BEST LIVE ACT but he has undoubtedly earned his position over the years where, of all his peers, he is the only one to retain a passion for the mod ideal.

Double Breasted Modzine remains your BEST MOD/FAN ZINE and that's a measure of the quality of this magazine. With the Double Breasted team currently planning an invasion of England there may be a wait for the next issue but back issues are still available through their MySpace.

I added a BEST SOUL ACT category this time owing to the number of great soul performers currently around. There is a tangible rebirth in soul music at the moment, which may or may not be a reaction to the lack of soul is most of today's music - particularly anything involving Simon Cowell. The winners, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, stand out as an outfit that could rank alongside any of our favourites of the past.

BEST NEW BAND The Universal have certainly been industrious over the year and their passionate gigging and great debut EP have worked them into the hearts of mods all over Britain. The same can be said of DC Fontana who are surely destined for bigger and better things - indeed they almost came out as winners in a number of categories, but you've concluded that they are BEST CONTEMPORARY BAND!

What's your opinion?

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well done to all the winners and a big thank you to everyone who voted for Midsummer Modness to give us a placing in Best Event. Glad you enjoyed! We're taking a break in 2011, to give ourselves a chance to enjoy more dos put on by others. See you out there!
    • Well done the winners, good to see so many events being organised !!
  • Well I have to say that 2010 was absolutely mega enjoyable mod wise. I have a funny feeling that 2011 is going to be every bit as good if not better.
  • Thanks to everyone who voted for Double Breasted Modzine.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: