Forum

Replies

• It's only because of the Who that it's relevant to the early 60s. I can say that no original mod I ever knew wore one.
  • personally, I think its a statement these days, especially with mods my age, as not many folk these days know what a mod is, I have a patch on my parka, and a little badge, personally I like them.

• The roundel is very cliche and you get lots of used-to-be mods with their Fred Perry's unbuttoned, jeans, desert boots, and some parka, with the roundel on, and it does have a sense of superficiality to it. However, I often wear a small pin badge on my lapel kinda to show random people 'why' I'm dressed like something else, especially if I'm wearing less-stereotypical mod looks that don't have the connotations a parka and lambretta does in popular culture.

As for its origins I heard it was Pete Townshend who popularized/came up with it. I'd guess it was two fingers up to wartime austerity being a military symbol, rather than turning off mods by being a pro-military. It was a bit like many mods wore collected medals and emblems on their parkas for the same reasons.

• I gave a very " evolved " explanation of what I felt the roundel was all about, but I have to say that Gary D' and YM pretty much nailed it

I occasionally sport a roundel lapel pin, and have a roundel on one of my scoots, but it is a very contemporary symbol; and it says "Mod" to anyone who is dull enough not to get it. Really, that's all.

• The Godfather of Pop Art Sir Peter Blake was in my humble opinion the original instigator of the roundel as a modern art form in 1961. Before being hi-jacked by all and sundry, including some mods, for style and commercial gain.

• I got a RAAF keyring (in silver): blue, white and a red kangaroo in the middle a few years back and still use it - for my house key - with a vintage Mary Quant keyfob and a the word Vespa inside a Mod target as I was given as a gift for Xmas a few years back.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I definitely remember some Mods wearing targets on the back of their parkas in the early 80s. The truth is that most clued up Mods even then would not have been seen dead with it on any of their clothing so it was fairly limited . The most I saw it was at scooter rallies but I have always thought since then that most of those people were probably not so great Mods and were more than happy when the scooter boy thing came in and they could dump any semblance of having to dress okay.  

• Remember it being on badges but apart from that wasn't really big in Glasgow
    • My first target t-shirt was accurately hand painted. Hell of a job!

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: