Mod Movies

Just watching the original Thomas Crowne Affair (1968) with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.

Oooh, baby.

Great couple - apart from the obvious chemistry they generate on screen and the crime thriller theme it is a pleasure to watch from a Mod perspective.

The clothes are just perfect. The cars. The settings. The whole beautiful retro styling of the movie and incidental music - horns, hammond and strings - make it a wonderful aspirational Mod movie.

Got me thinking. What other movies, apart from the obvious (Quad is a given) portray the ideal Modernistic style? I mean the films Mods would have gone to see at the movies.

Ideas? The Sean Connery Bond movies for sure, then there is Blow up too, different but still on trend...

What do you think, you cool Mod people?

Game of chess anyone.... or a different game?

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Couple of interesting films on Talking Pictures recently;  'My Teenage Daughter' with Anna Neagle as the distraught mum and Sylvia Simm as the errant daughter.  Although 1956 it focuses on teenage culture, as she gets in with some hipsters at the jazz clubs learning to jive, you get the sense of a bugeoning youth culture.

West 11 a Micheal Winner film starring Alfred Lynch from 1963 again frequenting cafes and jazz clubs as he degenerates into crime.

• 4248959207?profile=RESIZE_710xPaul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Diahann Carroll, Sidney Poitier - Paris Blues 1961 Just watched this movie. 1961 so predates Mod. Newman & Poitier are Jazz musicians and 2 women on holiday fall in love with them. At that moment in time Woodward & Carroll were really their partners. A daft little film but has some nice Jazz Club scenes. It's on You tube in it's entirety.

• Thanks for that Mike, I'll check it out ;-)

• Watched it tonight, Mike, enjoyed it a lot! Thanks again for the tip!

• Will have to check this out Mike; good shout! Talking about films and jazz; watched this one here for the first time last weekend,  would you believe!4107709080?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Oh good choice. Jeanne Moreau was gorgeous and I had a massive crush on her when I was younger. R.I.P

• P.S. Paris Blues DVD ordered! :-)

• 4261000956?profile=RESIZE_710xWorth it for Louis Armstrong if nothing else. It's set in paris, for real and not just a hollywood studio. The Eiffel Tower is on the poster but isn't shown in the whole film.

• Watched a few snippets in YouTube today. Looks quite good!

• 3766564475?profile=RESIZE_930xSaw "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" at one of our lovely old cinemas last night.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...