Mod Movies

Just watching the original Thomas Crowne Affair (1968) with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.

Oooh, baby.

Great couple - apart from the obvious chemistry they generate on screen and the crime thriller theme it is a pleasure to watch from a Mod perspective.

The clothes are just perfect. The cars. The settings. The whole beautiful retro styling of the movie and incidental music - horns, hammond and strings - make it a wonderful aspirational Mod movie.

Got me thinking. What other movies, apart from the obvious (Quad is a given) portray the ideal Modernistic style? I mean the films Mods would have gone to see at the movies.

Ideas? The Sean Connery Bond movies for sure, then there is Blow up too, different but still on trend...

What do you think, you cool Mod people?

Game of chess anyone.... or a different game?

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Paris Blues, staring Paul Newman, Sidney Poitier, and Joanne Woodward. Everything that the film version of 'Absolute Beginners' should have been. Cool music, cool clothes, cool actors, and the coolest city in Europe in the early 60s as a backdrop with scooters buzzing around to add to the effect. 
    • As expected from you Mr Cameron, an über cool suggestion!
    • Paris blues is everything as you've described - fantastic film.

Here's a few from my "mod" DVD collection....

Wind of Change (1961) Johnny Briggs... The Party's Over (1963) Oliver Reed...Live it Up (1963) A very young Stephen Marriot... The System (1964) Oliver Reed...Be My Guest (1965) again a young Stephen Marriot...  Dateline Diamonds (1965) Small Faces... The Knack (1965) Ray Brooks... Blow Up (1966) David Hemmings... Catch Us If you Can (1966) Dave Clark 5.... Ghost Goes Gear (1965)... Spencer Davis - St Louis Union... Poor Cow (1967) Queenie Watts... To Sir With Love (1967)... Lulu ... Here we Go Round The Mullbery Bush (1968)... Deadfall (1968) Michael Caine.  I have a stack of those 60's kitchen sink type films some i've not watched in years.

• Yes! Brillliant selection. Some I havent seen yet, too. Thanks!

• 3297764389?profile=original
  • 3297766212?profile=original
    • Quite a cool film on Talking Pictures last night; Redline 7000, 1965 with James Caan, about stock car racers.   Lots of Harringtons, skinny ties and 3 button jackets

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...