Replies

• As someone who actually has an MBE recpient in the family for her community work, I actually think he didn't deserve his Knighthood. He didn't do ANYTHING except win the Tour de France and think the fact that he is a Knight of the Realm has inflated his ego. I say that about any celebrity, even of The Beatles (one of my favourite bands when I got into the 1960s/Mod thing at 13). Musicians, actors, celebrities (unless they have above and beyond for their community aside from the household identity, don't deserve such accolades.

Since his knighthood, he - alongside Martin Freeman, Lee Ingleby et al are not Mods, but rather poseurs du jour. It's unfortunate that those of you in Britain are subjected to such rot and these 'documentaries' from time to time.

There is no expert on what is Mod or not as we have our own unique twist on it, but he is embarrassing...

• Regarding Wiggins He probably did deserve his honours but that isn't really relevant to his claiming to be a Mod. He's a state and if he was ever remotely Mod he isn't now.

I however disagree about Martin Freeman being just a poser. He is an actor, so it's hard to relate his characters with being Mod. However whenever you see him in his civvies he walks the walk. He'll never be a Face but he's smart and obviously tries hard to be one of us. He has nothing to gain by dressing up as a Mod without being one. I think he's a Mod and I as far as he's concerned he is one.

• Agreed.

• He didn't do ANYTHING except win the hardest sporting event on earth? Aside from 8 Olympic medals including 5 Golds you mean???? Making him Britains most prolific Olympian ever???? Do you even comprehend the dedication that takes over the years? Of course he deserved his Knighthood.

• I don't think we were talking about his push bike adventures? It's his mod documentary credentials people are questioning. 

• I was replying to a comment saying he didn' deserve a knighthood mate.

• mod goddess just stated he didn't deserve his knighthood.

• Indeed. Brad thought himself a mod a Few years back .Meeting Weller and getting a couple of suits. Before the scruffy beard,  earrings and tatts. 

Now he wants to be social worker.

• Re: comment about Wiggins meeting Weller. I know Weller has been mythologised in the Mod Revival, and I grew up during the Britpop/Cool Britannia music scene, but Weller would have been the same to Pete Townshend.

I didn't know anything about the Mod Revival (in Britain or Australia which was based on the British) until I started going out to 1960s music themed nights about 14 years ago... Being an Australian Mod, I educated myself on the differences between the 1960s Aussie and British scenes also...

• It's his honesty that I question, Snow. What was in the package? He needs to take ownership, before being given any authority as a social scientist etc. Just my two pence worth (old money) ...nice scooter though :)

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...