Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

    • Despite which frames I note you posted a couple of cracking dance numbers this morning, I suppose we have to keep our spirits up.

      Up until a few years ago I would have voted to remain. It just seemed to me that things were getting worse. To the extent that if anyone questioned the explosion in the population, set against the cuts to council budgets and their inabiblity to provide the infrastructure and housing to match the increase in numbers, they would be branded racist. This was a simple way to stifle debate about the very real issues that recently published Joseph Rowntree Foundation report has confirmed.

      When politicians say there are plans to build loads of houses, they are talking about a solution to a crisis that will take twenty or thirty years, even if they prodeeded with urgency. There is no sense of urgency.

      I am probably wrong, but I think the EU, if it  does not drastically change, it  will fold. It is not  the function of the Northern European country's working peoples, to finance the develop[ment and advancementof the worse off people of the South and the East Europe.

      Meanwhile at home the political classes have completely lost touch with the rest of us. Scotland was a solid Labour monopoly. The working people of Scotland felt abandoned and did exactly what the North and Midlands in England have started to do. For people like Farage to prosper, you need first need to create a vacuum.

      In the meantime people are being shipped out of London because they cannot afford the rents, into communities in the Midlands and the North that are already deprived areas themselves.

      The report of the Commons select committee into Sports Direct has compared conditions for employees comparable to the Victorian workhouse. This is not isolated. The rights of British worker hard won over many years of struggle have all but disappeared.

      To say I am gutted would be and understatement.

    • Thanks Stan, our politics are in chaos. There is such a disconnect between the people and the politicians. Until the politicians listen to the majority of the ordinary people there can be no solution.

      This is not a British problem, if what I read and observe is true, ordinary people all over Europe are unhappy with the way politics are done. At least we do not have Donald Trump. 

    • Fair enough, Frames.

      That's some great perspective, John. Voting for entry in 75 and for leave this year. That post was better thought out than most of the articles about Brexit that I've read in the news.

    • I find this interesting, insofar that I voted to enter the EU via a referendum in 1975, For the last forty years, we have abided by that decision, albeit that what we voted for in  1975 bears no resemblance, to what it became after the Maastricht Treaty of 1992.

      I voted to leave a month ago, because I was unhappy with what it had become. It seemd to me it was not democratic. This put me on the same side as politicians with whom I nothing in common. Conversely, I am sure that many of those who voted to remain had a similar experience in that respect.

      My main reason for leaving was because I felt that the sole object of the extended union, was to create more consumers for big business and allow multi national businesses to export their factories and operations to countries that had lower labour costs. At the same time workers from the poorer countries could come and earn multiples of the wages they could earn in their homelands.

      I have first hand knowledge of wages being driven down as a result. I in no way do I blame the people who came here to work and improve their lot..  In a supply and demand economy that is how it works, My objection is this,  if we all received a living wage there was no problem. The reality was that these people were being used to lower wages to a level where people could no longer pay mortgages or rents. So as far as I am concerned the working people of the better off nations were getting worse off in order that peoples from poorer nations could improve their lot. Eventually the latter would become wealthier consumers.

      The economic report issued yesterday cannot be dismissed as propaganda. It made it quite clear that the  working class and middle class are worse off. The blame for this can be put squarely at the door of big business and their shareholders, who have exploited the situation.

      Labour lost the last election because of so many defections to UKIP,  especially in the traditional Labour heartlands of the North and Midlands. It is no good telling people who feel abandoned that eventually everything will be alright. People are living in the moment.

      The economic suffering being inflicted on the people of Greece and Spain by the EU is criminal. Well not in my name.

      Constitutionally, Frames, what you say is probably right. We are no longer a two-party system where first passed the post is the appropriate way to decide elections. The Tory Party was elected on 25% of the total numbers eligible to vote and 37% of those who did vote.  So the other 63% are not represented by the present government.

      We need a root-and-branch change to our electoral system. But don't hold your breath.

    • I agree. That is how the government works. Parliament has De Facto sovereignty. But does it have De Jure sovereignty? If Scotland had left the U.K in that other referendum a little while ago, Scotland would have wanted to have remained in the E.U. I'm not sure if I'm making my point clear. John said that different parts of the country are at odds with each other, and I was agreeing with him and saying that there ought to be some solution that makes everybody happy. So, how do you please the Scots who want to remain and the British who want to leave? What is the ideal system? That's my question.

    • That's why I said pure democracy. Majority rules. What we have is usually called representative democracy. In the U.S. the term democratic republic is used, but I don't know if that is proper for the British system, which I know less about. I was talking about the referendum. The people who wanted to stay in are going to be forced to leave. It's a system that works well, but could be better. I'm not an anarchist. As Thomas Paine said in The Rights of Man, "I am not contending for nor against any form of government, nor for nor against any party..."

      John was talking about the fact that the London area is at odds with the rest of the country. Scotland and Northern Ireland also want to stay in. I was saying that there is a problem when one area stops another from doing what they want. There has to be some solution. 

    • Very thought provoking and, for me, educative post, John. It's true that England and America are very different. Although there are plenty of similarities as well. From what I've read, our political Left would be considered quite moderate by most Europeans, and our political Right would be considered extremely radical.

      I live in New York, and the Metropolitan area is a completely different place compared to the rest of the state. The city is mostly Left leaning, and the rest of the state sometimes bends the other way. Of course, metropolitan centers have more people and more power in the vote for president and other things. I suppose that if New York was its own nation, like England, there would be a lot of tension between the city and Upper state New York, like the tension you describe between London and the rest of England.

      I don't really like the idea of a Pure Democracy. That becomes a tyrany of the majority. 51% tell the other 49% what to do. What if the 51 are doing something blatantly immoral? I don't know what would have been a better alternative to the referendum. But of course, this referendum was less about morality and more about political and economic alignment.

  • Mojo Talking - Under The Influence Of Mod. The follow up to Tony Beesley's Sawdust Caesars. Due for release October. 

    • What a great cover photo!
  • Only 11 days to pledge to make this book happen Ladies & Gents. If you can afford it please pledge. It would be a crying shame if we missed the opportunity to have a book about the female side of mod on our bookshelves and with Jason Brummell, Mark Baxter and Ian Snowball at the helm you know it's going to be a good one.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426990161/ready-steady-girls-...

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: