Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, and I prefer an autobiography to a biography every time. It's certainly worth finishing. I still find details of a publihing career, real estate purchases, boat purchases, domestic issues, etc. less compelling than say Kit Lambert stories for example.
    • Yes, I get what your saying Scott so I will plough on ;0)

• I Imagine this might be quite sinister at times, especially regarding the childhood!?
    • Very raw and sinister Kai. Not sure how honest it is though so reading it objectively.

• One to take on holiday perhaps?

• When all is said and done about The Who. The Who: Maximum R&B - Richard Barnes stands the test of time and can't be beaten. The best of the lot including the big coffee table cash in's imho. If you've not got a copy, It's highly recommended that you do. A great read and photo book, no I'm not in it, nor a friend of Barnsy ;0)

• He was, or possibly is, a close mate of Townshend, so who would know better? ;-)
    • Precisely! I was recommended Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of The Who 1958-1978 - Andy Neill and Matt Kent. Great in it's own right or the coffee table tome, The Who: 50 Years - Ben Marshall. A very cool looking book but to be honest the Richard Barnes book, for me personally hits the nail on the head when it comes to the genuine article on the original rabble rousers. All other books on the subject considered.  

• 5stars x2 and top of my mod book pile.

• You're bound to like it , you are in it! It is a very good book though,the first one was great and this one's even better.
This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: