Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hmmm... I like Parsons in general, Rod; though this is a very early work... a re-read of Tom Wolfes Streamline Baby might get in the way, though... ;-)

• Battled through this heavyweight three or four times over the years ----very interesting but hard work at times --lots of big words -As it states on the back NOT a this is a Fred Perry this is a Lambretta book

• Agreed. A tough read... more academic than most. Still haven’t gotten through!

• I like many others tried to read Richard Weights book and it was hard going and gave me a headache as he doesn't know what he's on about and just goes all over the place splurging out tripe. It ended up in the charity shop to give someone else a headache. My mate gave it to me when his ears started bleeding with the pressure of trying to understand it. I wouldnt mind but he was on a BBC 4 programme talking about Mod just because he's written a book. He is unqualified and made no sense at all and his clothes and hair were crap. 

• He's written other books, too. Anyone can write on the subjects he writes about; mostly Mod stuff and British identity...

• I would say that’s the worst book I’ve ever read about Mods but that wouldn’t be fair ...

cos it’s not really about Mods. It’s a load of reference- laden twaddle by a bullshitting sociology type. I could go on and on but the worst thing about the entire exercise is that he takes our wonderful ‘thing’ and makes it relentlessly BORING. With every chapter and sub heading you’re hoping he’s going to get back on track and write about something fun, exciting, interesting, revealing, enlightening and all you get is disappointment. Stood against Richard Barnes, Tony Beesley, Paul Anderson this bloke is worse than a charlatan, he’s a relentless DULLARD. 

• I appreciate your "reference-laden twaddle" comment, Rod. Check this out:

https://www.bu.edu/abroad/about/contact-us/richard-weight/

Maybe you should attend one of his lectures at Boston University and try not to laugh. Often journalists and sociologists can often get it wrong. The "Battle of Brighton" in 1964 etc. was an example of that.

Richard Weight
    • Not impressed then Rod 

• Come to think of it... you're spot on, Rod, hahaha!

• Strange at times, connecting Mod with New Romantic and Kraftwerk...

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: