Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don't know Kai -Kraftwerk did a great version of Thanks Mr Postman and Visage nailed Dead End Street.

• And Soft Cells version of Tainted Love beats the original, hahaha! ;-)

• So what you are trying to say Scott, is that the book looks good but it is not at all reliable. I liked the heavyWEiGHT pun haha

• FeatherWEIGHT knowledge of Mod. PaperWEIGHT in terms of presentation.

• I have never came across this book but judging by recent comments is does not sound like my thing, maybe an up to date but poor mans Stanley Cohen. It will be a long weight before i think about buying it.  I suppose if I saw it in a second hand shop for £1 I may think about it.

• Informative and interesting Chris -but need to concentrate otherwise you can start thinking about sausages and beer 

• I saw Georgie Best play for Man U when they beat Patrick Thistle 4-0 at a packed Firhill in a pre-season testimonial in the early 1970s. I don’t remember any of the football that night but I do remember seeing Belfast on the news on the day of his funeral. This book is a brilliant read. My present read finds me searching for Frank Wilson...

• I saw him play a few times for Hibs when they played Celtic between 1979 and 1980. He was reputedly on £2000 per game which was a lot back then. He was mostly a spent force by then sadly but now and then showed flashes if his genius. I seem to remember him scoring on his Hibs debut v Rangers at Easter Road.

• Have you read Pete McKenna’s book about two Man U fans, (one 60s mod, another late 60s early 70s soul loving mod), meeting up en route to Belfast for what turns out to be a brotherly bonding weekend during Georgie Best’s funeral and the celebration of all things Best? If not, then I would recommend it. As I would all of the titles I uploaded pictures of. Many of them include interesting detailed description of the details. 

• I had never heard of it before tbh mate. Will certainly put it on to the extensive list of things to buy.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: