Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I decided to take you up on that Kai and popped out and bought that book. I also used my magic powers and got Ian Mac to sign it ha ha. All kidding aside when you posted that testerday it rang a bell somewhere. I bought it  after the gig when he played here in 2011, and he was happy to autograph it to me.

• Yes agreed. A very good read!

• Being an avid reader of all his recent work from 'Man and Boy' on, I'm gonna start in this 'prehistoric' Parsons now. I think Beesleys Mojo Talkin' inspired me to get it.

• I've got a 1983 copy of Limelight Blues, l haven't read it and wondered why l bought it but now l know after reading Kai's post, probably influenced by Tony Beesleys book 

• I have never read any of Parsons books so I cannot comment on the literary merits. I have never taken to him as a person tbh as to me he comes across as a weasel; the music industries equivalent to Piers Morgan.

• On the money there Chris, two bob in Parsons's case.  His early books ( I couldn't call it writing) sold well  but because he had nothing original to say, no one would publish him for years.                                                                                                                              I  saw him interviewed once when he said he was over forty before he understood that women were not sex objects so obviously a progressive thinker.

• Yeah the few times I have seen him interviewed he came across as a little odious creep John, throw in the odd bit of racism and it probably sums the guy up. Other people may well like him or his style of writing but he is not the sort of person I rate.

• Well it is a matter of opinion Chris and like in all things we all draw different conclusions based on our observations and opinions. I think that celebrity now trumps talent or performance.

If anyone enjoys Parsons books or opinions, I take the same view as I do in music. We all have differents tastes and there is no accounting for them.

I know someone who attended a promotion of a Parsons book where he attende and called him something beginning with "c" as they say in I Spy. So we are not alone.

• Can't say anything about him as a person really as he's virtually unknown over here.... but I take it you're all not too keen on him, hahaha!

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: