Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Well I know the Beatles work and I can think of no other pop band that approaches the canon of work they produced. I cannot comment on the other two but will have a listen out of interest because I know you have such a large and varied collection of music.

It is a sign of the times that you can mention the Beatles on MG. Not so very long ago that would have been considered sedtious by some and a call to arms.

• Too late, I'm grooving to Telemann now I've got a Handel on him bruv :-)

• Ok, stop; I'll opt for Nina Simone!

• OF COURSE HE WAS KAI  ha ha. I was  talking about recording artists and popular music so you must excuse my not making the connection. That bastard Bach lifted Air on the G string from Procol Harum and A whiter shade of pale and it can be very confusing lol.

Will give it go though mate.

• Georg Phillip Telemann of course was a contemporary of Händel, while Staint Etienne to me are the greatest Pop Band of my time... should add Curtis Mayfield to my list... I know the original Mods didn't rate the Beatles, though it's fair to say that when they started making REALLY good music, around 1965, Mod was already finished...

• Maybe it's better not to know who Piers Morgan is, haha!

• Don’t get your hopes up Kai. Other than a few references lifted straight from Richard Barnes (“Bilgorri of Bishopgate!”) it wasn’t worth the journey for me. 

• Hmmm... I like Parsons in general, Rod; though this is a very early work... a re-read of Tom Wolfes Streamline Baby might get in the way, though... ;-)

• Battled through this heavyweight three or four times over the years ----very interesting but hard work at times --lots of big words -As it states on the back NOT a this is a Fred Perry this is a Lambretta book

• Agreed. A tough read... more academic than most. Still haven’t gotten through!

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: