Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can't say anything about him as a person really as he's virtually unknown over here.... but I take it you're all not too keen on him, hahaha!

• Very perceptive Kai :-). 

Parsons did have quite a high celebrity profile here when he was first published. However if people derived pleasure from his books, the fact that I have have a different opinion is just that, an opinion. 

Given the  option of only being ever being allowed to listen to one recording artist again I would probaly choose Billie Holiday. I quite understand that she would not come in the top hundred of other people. It is abour what you enjoy. That is the way it is and should be.

Out of interest who would it be for you Kai?

• Uhh... tough one, John... somewhere between the Beatles, St Etienne and Telemann... ;-)

•  Well I know the Beatles work and I can think of no other pop band that approaches the canon of work they produced. I cannot comment on the other two but will have a listen out of interest because I know you have such a large and varied collection of music.

It is a sign of the times that you can mention the Beatles on MG. Not so very long ago that would have been considered sedtious by some and a call to arms.

• Too late, I'm grooving to Telemann now I've got a Handel on him bruv :-)

• Ok, stop; I'll opt for Nina Simone!

• OF COURSE HE WAS KAI  ha ha. I was  talking about recording artists and popular music so you must excuse my not making the connection. That bastard Bach lifted Air on the G string from Procol Harum and A whiter shade of pale and it can be very confusing lol.

Will give it go though mate.

• Georg Phillip Telemann of course was a contemporary of Händel, while Staint Etienne to me are the greatest Pop Band of my time... should add Curtis Mayfield to my list... I know the original Mods didn't rate the Beatles, though it's fair to say that when they started making REALLY good music, around 1965, Mod was already finished...

• Maybe it's better not to know who Piers Morgan is, haha!

• Don’t get your hopes up Kai. Other than a few references lifted straight from Richard Barnes (“Bilgorri of Bishopgate!”) it wasn’t worth the journey for me. 

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: