Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One of the best Mod books and quotes ever...

"Modernism is just about shopping," sneered the NME editor recently. Yeah, like punk is just about wearing a safety pin. Such statements capture perfectly the contempt that many writer folk have for anyone using clothes as a statement in conjuntion with their art (see Rowland, Kevin, reaction to). But Modernism shrugs off attacks because put simply, it just doesn't care too much about these people and their world. Modernism searches for truth. That's why it's Britain's longest standing youth cult. It has survived and prospered because it is built on a set of principles that remain firm.

Modernism has longevity because it recognises two absolute facts. True style and quality never dates and as long as there's a money-go-round, there will always be someone wanting to dress up to fuck off a world that constantly wants to put you down.

The Sharper Word: A Mod Anthology - Paolo Hewitt, Autumn, 1998

• Classic!

• Arrived this morning. Always a good read by the fire with a glass.

• Half way through this very entertaining account of second generation fun around Bristol.

• I saw an excellent copy of this book without a price tag, at a local emporium. I have been after a good copy for awhile now so I asked a nearby assistant, in the hope of getting the book at a good price. The owner of the book turned up, saying it was his duplicate copy that has been sat on the book shelf for a couple of months, opposite a vinyl record seller, Dave's Records, thinking it would go quickly and surprised that it hadn't. It was soon established that he was a former North London (Tottenham) Modernist who frequented the Club Noreik and other such establishments circa 1965... Sharp suits, R&B and (whispers) amphetamines! I just stood there for two hours plus, listening to a like minded senior (he's 68) gentleman regale me with the musical history of a North London mod. To cut a long story short, I do believe that Steve, the North London Modernist was very happy that his, american first issue book ended up on my bookshelf, as was I ;0)

• Great story Gary and it sounds like a fine way to pass a few hours. You never let us into the info on how much it cost, or is it too horrific to reveal without trauma ha ha

• Yeah nice little anecdote, Gary! :-)
    • Only a fiver Chris. Considering the history and condition (ex/mint), a very good price... I think he let me have it at that because I knew the track and "someone with the letter P" was Lou Pride - I'm Com'un Home In The Morn'un. Who he said he saw live at the Marquee Club ;0)

• That is a fantastic buy Gary. Great classic northern track too is that Lou Pride number.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: