Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rescued a copy of this, condition Very Good:

from World of Books on Amazon Marketplace for £5 delivered. absolute bargain and crammed with tasty pictures, some of which I will share on Cool Pictures once I’ve trawled 135 pages to check they haven’t been posted previously  Got me googling Peggy Moffit -wow!!   Im going to post a picture of her that I came across that I’ve not before but maybe you have. I just figure it’s such a defining picture, IMHO, that nobody will object to seeing it again  

• https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/108/1081253/in-the-city/97807535157...

Good read, this.

In the City
    'A dense and colourful account of one of the most vibrant musical centres in the world, In the City almost puts you on that train to London' Guardian…
    • Saw that years ago at the by now gone HMV in Oxford Street, then lost sight of it. Just ordered a copy from eBay! :-) 

In the City
      'A dense and colourful account of one of the most vibrant musical centres in the world, In the City almost puts you on that train to London' Guardian…
  • Two new ones by Paul Smiler Anderson; the one about Bowie is the first hand experience of Lower Third drummer Phil Lancaster. 

• You must have a sizeable book collection Kai. Those one's look pretty decent additions.

• Yes indeed. Especially love those accounts of people who were actually there, like Phil Lancaster. 

• Story of Alligator Records,

Chicago blues label

• This reply was deleted.
    • "Modernism has longevity because it recognises two absolute facts. True style and quality never dates and as long as there's a money-go-round, there will always be someone wanting to dress up to fuck off a world that constantly wants to put you down."

Hear, hear! I think I may have to use that when it comes to explaining to clueless people.

Please forgive me for changing the subject a little. Last Friday, I am sitting at the bar of my local train station all dressed up and waiting for my train. I am quietly enjoying a double whisky on the rocks on a rather hot day. Two middle-aged men are commenting on the fact I'm drinking whisky - as if I couldn't hear the conversation! One spoke to me and remarked that he thought was "unusual for [him] to see a woman drink scotch", to which I replied: "It's just as well I'm not like everybody else...". He then asked if I smoked cigars as well, and I said no. I tell you what: I love the fact that I can choose to drink whatever I want, wear whatever I want and go wherever I want with a slight air of confidence. The only downside, everybody thinks they're a fucking comedian! :-) Now, if I was dressed like everybody else and had a wine or champagne, I don't think they or him would've said anything... :-)

• Well said, Bec! :-)

https://youtu.be/aUkJYkVTITU

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: