Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Two new ones by Paul Smiler Anderson; the one about Bowie is the first hand experience of Lower Third drummer Phil Lancaster. 

• You must have a sizeable book collection Kai. Those one's look pretty decent additions.

• Yes indeed. Especially love those accounts of people who were actually there, like Phil Lancaster. 

• Story of Alligator Records,

Chicago blues label

• One of the best Mod books and quotes ever...

"Modernism is just about shopping," sneered the NME editor recently. Yeah, like punk is just about wearing a safety pin. Such statements capture perfectly the contempt that many writer folk have for anyone using clothes as a statement in conjuntion with their art (see Rowland, Kevin, reaction to). But Modernism shrugs off attacks because put simply, it just doesn't care too much about these people and their world. Modernism searches for truth. That's why it's Britain's longest standing youth cult. It has survived and prospered because it is built on a set of principles that remain firm.

Modernism has longevity because it recognises two absolute facts. True style and quality never dates and as long as there's a money-go-round, there will always be someone wanting to dress up to fuck off a world that constantly wants to put you down.

The Sharper Word: A Mod Anthology - Paolo Hewitt, Autumn, 1998

• "Modernism has longevity because it recognises two absolute facts. True style and quality never dates and as long as there's a money-go-round, there will always be someone wanting to dress up to fuck off a world that constantly wants to put you down."

Hear, hear! I think I may have to use that when it comes to explaining to clueless people.

Please forgive me for changing the subject a little. Last Friday, I am sitting at the bar of my local train station all dressed up and waiting for my train. I am quietly enjoying a double whisky on the rocks on a rather hot day. Two middle-aged men are commenting on the fact I'm drinking whisky - as if I couldn't hear the conversation! One spoke to me and remarked that he thought was "unusual for [him] to see a woman drink scotch", to which I replied: "It's just as well I'm not like everybody else...". He then asked if I smoked cigars as well, and I said no. I tell you what: I love the fact that I can choose to drink whatever I want, wear whatever I want and go wherever I want with a slight air of confidence. The only downside, everybody thinks they're a fucking comedian! :-) Now, if I was dressed like everybody else and had a wine or champagne, I don't think they or him would've said anything... :-)

• I have to admit that I have always found it a bit bizarre that some people,  even in this day and age would think that men should drink certain drinks and women should stick to certain others; to me it is nonsensical. Way back in the late 50s or early 60s both vodka and lager were promoted as being a women's drink, now such an idea would seem absurd. I think it shows a lack of intelligence if you ask me MG, and you had fancied smoking a cigar then it would have been none of their business either.

• Exactly, Chris! :-D

However, I am in Ballarat, not Melbourne and some of the yokels - I mean locals - are very backward and set in their ways. I know I can be that way with some things, but it doesn't define me... I actually tried my first cigar last NYE thanks to a Skinhead mate of mine who taught me the fine art of smoking it. LOL! Suffice to say, it wasn't that great and I must admit I felt a bit stupid doing it. Oh well! ;-)

• Classic!

• Arrived this morning. Always a good read by the fire with a glass.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: