Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks interesting.

• Got the book too; a hefty £40 at the exhibition but £15 cheaper on Amazon. Crammed full of much more than on show at the museum.1273702468?profile=RESIZE_930x

• https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Words-Fail-Music-Peace/dp/1783783362#...

Another good read.... a subjective approach, but well done and full of interesting sidelights.

When Words Fail: A Life with Music, War and Peace: Amazon.co.uk: Ed Vulliamy: 9781783783366: Books
    Buy When Words Fail: A Life with Music, War and Peace by Ed Vulliamy (ISBN: 9781783783366) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free del…
  • 1094029616?profile=RESIZE_930xArrived this morning. Always a good read.

• Yes, I enjoy it, too. Just renewed my subscription and awaiting the issue to come over to Germany. I guess, there is an DNA Groove feature in this issue?

• Yes it's a good read. There is an article about DNA Groove , but don't worry there is plenty about real style and quality too. Enjoy 

• 1028491133?profile=RESIZE_930x

My current read, l’m about half way through and really savouring it. Seems to be a thoroughly well researched and written book by The Bard of Barking. Plenty of interesting side stories and, of course, many of the people involved crossed over into the UK’s nascent R&B scene of the early 60s  - and we all know where that led  ;o)

• I first saw Billy Brag live when he supported the Style Council up here in the Spring of 84. He took to the massive stage of the Glasgow Apollo with just a guitar and a small amp and was brilliant.

Its no wonder the guy at the front of the picture has a pained expression on his face; it looks like the guy under him is pulling a wire out of his arse ha ha

• Yeah, I’ve seen him quite a few times over the years Chris,   with bands (saw Ian McLagan with him in Billy Bragg and the Blokes) and solo as you describe. He’s always good value and has an admirably strong social conscience too. 

I think that’s a tea chest bass the guy lying down is playing but can’t for the life of me imagine where the tea chest is. 

• Similar to yourself Steve, I have seen Billy Bragg live on many an occasion. As well as his deep held political convictions he has written a lot of really good songs and knows how to do a good gig.  The first time he played a big venue up here was when he did the Barrowlands in 85. His support that night was a guy called Ted Hawkins who was fantastic in the same way Bragg had been when he supported the Style Council a year earlier. I am envious about the gig with Billy Bragg and Ian Mac, that sounds amazing.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...