Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ted Hawkins was yet another great live act. Saw him maybe half a dozen times and would have went more, but he just sort of disappeared. I think you may be right about Andy Kershaw too.

A couple of great songs there Steve. I have the Dont Stand me Down album so I am familiar with Reminisce PT II. I had never heard that Billy Bragg song before but it is really good. So many of his songs were (are) really good. One of my favourites has to be Levi Stubbs Tears.

• The Saturday Boy: 

“Thinking back she made us want her
      A girl not old enough to shave her legs”

Pure magic

• New heavyweight on the bookshelf.

• That looks a beast of a book... Will it fit on a coffee table? ;0)

• Carried it home in my shoulder back at noon. Shoulder still hurts, hahaha!

• Well worth it though from the awesome reviews Kai ;0)

• Certainly!

• Fantastic book Kai, jammed full of iconic images!

• So many great books recently, Steve; can hardly keep up...

• Know what you mean Kai. If I was working I’d never have time to track them all down, let alone read them. 

How did you find At The Birth Of Bowie as a read?  Thought it was a bit shallow myself, both in terms of the content and the sentiment; seemed to be written by someone with a big smile but clenched teeth. 

On the positive side, I hope, it has made me seek out a copy of Any Day Now - The London Years, of which I have high hopes, based on Amazon reviews. 

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: