Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Certainly!

• Fantastic book Kai, jammed full of iconic images!

• So many great books recently, Steve; can hardly keep up...

• Know what you mean Kai. If I was working I’d never have time to track them all down, let alone read them. 

How did you find At The Birth Of Bowie as a read?  Thought it was a bit shallow myself, both in terms of the content and the sentiment; seemed to be written by someone with a big smile but clenched teeth. 

On the positive side, I hope, it has made me seek out a copy of Any Day Now - The London Years, of which I have high hopes, based on Amazon reviews. 

• Yep, personal memories by a non- professional writer. Well, I enjoyed it anyway; first hand experiences from the golden age... ;-)

• Maybe I’m a bit cynical....  I’ll say this though; around about six months back, I did a “60s Music” walking tour of the West End, a birthday gift from my eldest daughter (who accompanied me on the trip). We spent a fair bit of time in Denmark Street outside La Gioconda, hearing about Davie Jones and The Lower Third’s ambulance/bedroom being conveniently parked up after gigs.  All of that figured fairly heavily in the book and so it chimed pretty much with me as genuine and authentic. The guy who did the tour (there were only the two of us, so it was as up close and personal) told us that the waiters from La Gioconda would knock on the van doors if the police were showing interest. The rest of the tour took in plenty of sites, familiar from the page, if not in person; Ham Yard, The Scene, Marquee, Flamingo, pretty much everything else you’d expect,ending appropriately on Saville Row, the site of Apple and the last live performance by The Beatles. 

• Sounds like something I'd love to do as soon as the boy won't accompany us to London anymore. He'd be terribly bored and already loathes going to the Mary Quant exhibition at the V&A with us in April, hahaha!

• I’ll be going to the Quant exhibition too Kai.

If you’re over in April this will still be on, I’m going to try and catch it soon myself. 

Swinging London: A Lifestyle Revolution / Terence Conran – Mary Quant

https://www.ftmlondon.org/ftm-exhibitions/swinging-london-a-lifestyle-revolution/

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/1029921310?profile=RESIZE_710x
    • Got my tickets already! :-) 

• I know the feeling about having 'choices'. I was going to a Soul weekender in Melbourne one year and a Northern mate of mine (a carpenter) and who was also going, asked me if I had bricks in my suitcase!! :-) I was staying with family and he was staying with his son. I usually pack a 'day ensemble' and a 'night ensemble' and a train case for my cosmetics, hair dryer etc and several handbags too... like you said - choices. I'm sure when I stay in hotels down there, the staff must think I'm bonkers...

I knew about the shout out and rang them the day I read about it. I was also worried I wouldn't get my clothing and other paraphenalia back. I wear my MQ clothing, I don't collect it. They already have a Bazaar dress in their permanent collection that I do own... Mine's a size 10 and theirs - shown below - is a 12.

1045697280?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...