Forum

THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know the feeling about having 'choices'. I was going to a Soul weekender in Melbourne one year and a Northern mate of mine (a carpenter) and who was also going, asked me if I had bricks in my suitcase!! :-) I was staying with family and he was staying with his son. I usually pack a 'day ensemble' and a 'night ensemble' and a train case for my cosmetics, hair dryer etc and several handbags too... like you said - choices. I'm sure when I stay in hotels down there, the staff must think I'm bonkers...

I knew about the shout out and rang them the day I read about it. I was also worried I wouldn't get my clothing and other paraphenalia back. I wear my MQ clothing, I don't collect it. They already have a Bazaar dress in their permanent collection that I do own... Mine's a size 10 and theirs - shown below - is a 12.

• Ha, people are alway astounded by the amount of clothes I take away, even for an overnight stay; I maintain it’s all about having choices. 

Hope you make it over Becs, sounds like you should make a case to be part of the exhibition- they had a shout out last year, asking people to submit clothes for consideration and inclusion.

• Hoping to save for a ticket to the UK and go the exhibition, also Steve... all the way from Australia. Only problem is, I have quite a collection of vintage Mary Quant clothing and to decide which dress to wear for it, is a real dilemma... ;-)

• How did I not guess that!  :o)

• Oh, and another positive to come out of the Bowie book was a revisiting of Pinups, every bit as good as I remembered it to be. Tasty picture disc version coming for Record Store Day
      https://www.nme.com/news/exclusive-david-bowie-pin-ups-picture-disc...

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/1030207733?profile=original
  • Rescued a copy of this, condition Very Good:

from World of Books on Amazon Marketplace for £5 delivered. absolute bargain and crammed with tasty pictures, some of which I will share on Cool Pictures once I’ve trawled 135 pages to check they haven’t been posted previously  Got me googling Peggy Moffit -wow!!   Im going to post a picture of her that I came across that I’ve not before but maybe you have. I just figure it’s such a defining picture, IMHO, that nobody will object to seeing it again  

• https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/108/1081253/in-the-city/97807535157...

Good read, this.

In the City
    'A dense and colourful account of one of the most vibrant musical centres in the world, In the City almost puts you on that train to London' Guardian…
    • Saw that years ago at the by now gone HMV in Oxford Street, then lost sight of it. Just ordered a copy from eBay! :-) 

In the City
      'A dense and colourful account of one of the most vibrant musical centres in the world, In the City almost puts you on that train to London' Guardian…
  • Two new ones by Paul Smiler Anderson; the one about Bowie is the first hand experience of Lower Third drummer Phil Lancaster. 

• You must have a sizeable book collection Kai. Those one's look pretty decent additions.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: