THE PRINTED WORD

Having just noticed that the initiator of the latest "book" thread left the site taking the discussion with him, it's my turn again to revive it; being too important a topic to be dropped, imo.

Having finished "Get Carter" by Ted Lewis over the Holidays, I'll soon start with "Jack Carters Law", a prequel set in late 60s Soho.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3829973816?profile=RESIZE_930xIn honour of the late great Lord Dunsby.

• A slim volume and a quick but interesting read. 
    3808169983?profile=RESIZE_930xCoincidentally, I literally bumped into a guy at the doctors recently and got talking, the way you do, and music was the main subject (I'd picked up a copy of Lennonlegend: An Illustrated Life of John Lennon at a charity shop and had it under my arm). He said he'd met Lennon on a couple of occasions and had played one of his vintage guitars on Hayling Island (look up Pete Shotten as to why this checks out). He also said that he learned the guitar by playing along with Jeff Beck in his bedroom, literally!  He went to school with Jeff in Epsom, knew Jimmy and Eric too. He also occasionally stood in for Keith Relf when Keith couldn't sing due to asthma. His name is Henry Turtle and he has a web page with his biography if you're interested. I plan to stay in touch. 

• Stock photo

I bought this a few months back and have only just started to read it. I will aim to get Volume 2 also, but as this was bought at the Book Grocer where the books cost between $6 or 3 for $10, I knew I had got myself a great deal for $6 righ there and then...

• Should be interesting; brilliant artist!

Nice to see you back btw., Bec! ;-)

• Just finished this one. Great recollections of the times and the people involved in the seminal British R&B boom. Plenty of excellent pictures of their iconic posters (Georgie Fame New Year gig posted in the Ads Pictures thread). They really nailed the house graphics with an in-house printing facility (all silk screened to order) and a cheeky squad of fly posters. 
    3791514618?profile=RESIZE_930x

• The handling of their artwork is also nicely described in Paul Andersons Mod Art book. Coincidentially I watched Blow Up last night, where the club was 're-built' in the studio for the Yardbirds gig. In the audience you can also spot a guy in one of their Zoot Money t-shirts.

• 3753195858?profile=RESIZE_930xJust arrived.

• Will you let us know your oppinion,  Martin? Not yet sure about this one.. 

• Of course. It may take some time for me to digest, but doesn't look bad at first sight. 

• Ok, my copy arrived today!

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...