Forum

What Gig's Have You Been To?

Couldn't see a thread dedicated to live music.

I went to see The Specials last night at Rock City,Nottingham.  Good gig small venue (about 2500).  Decent atmosphere.  Was almost a very short concert with Mr Hall threatening to walk off after bottles were thrown.  It seems some people just can't help acting like idiots.  Some well dressed folks about too.  I'm always blown away when I see a women skinheads, a male skinhead so what?  But a woman skinhead that takes guts.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great details about the various clubs and clubbers there Ernie and some of it is eerily similar to what we used to do. On a Friday night we often all met up on our scooters and headed into the city centre. There would often be about a dozen of us and we would go to a certain boozers and then up to another one that was a well know Mod haunt. We never drank much tbh, maybe a couple of pints but were happy just to hang out with like minded people. Towards the end of the night we would head up to another part of the town where a Mod club called the Lindella would be coming out around midnight and hang out there and talk to the punters coming out of the club. Most of us would probably rather have been in the club but had to save our money for the Saturday night when our Scene club was on. The Saturday was totally different as we never took our scoots down. That would be a night for drinking and dancing till 3 am and no one wanted to be lumbered with their scooter. Other people came and went on their scooters, stopping outside the club to chat, but no one parked their scooter at the front of the club and left it there until the club closed; there is every chance it would have disappeared long before the club ended. 

• https://youtu.be/XnZVcuz-VK8

This is about a gig I went in the mid-60s at The Scene Club, because it has a story and I was reminded of it when I came across this track on youtube.

The best nights at The Scene were Tuesdays and Fridays because you could avoid the live bands, who were mostly terrible (Zoot Money, anyone?), and get yourself sorted. Sometimes you'd get there on a Tuesday, hoping Sandy would be in the record booth instead of Guy Stevens, only to find that a gig had been booked. Nothing you could do, really, except hang about upstairs in the Yard until they packed up. This Barry St John was on stage (you had to stretch the description) singing her cover of a Newbeats song - just a bright bit of pop, but you could dance to it - and I was bowled over by her, thought she was best thing since I'd seen since sliced bread and zip fasteners. At seventeen or thereabouts, full of that special kind of idiocy and swagger, I thought I had a chance with her. Oh dear, here's a grown up woman with a career just about to have her life changed by a skinny gawping teenager. How could she resist? A mate of mine sussed what an idiot I was about o make of myself and said to me that I'd best give it the go-by as she was married to Alex Harvey, Absolute passion dowser, that - Harvey had the reputation of being a genuine lunatic hardcase, able to start a fight with himself, stalked the West End like a bandit. So I just watched her, full of teenage sadness (which disappears fairly quickly) and tucked what might have been away.  Several months later I found out that my mate was wrong and she weasn't married to Harvey at all. So I'm glad I found this record.

• Great recollections Ernie. For what its worth you were probably better being safe than sorry re the Alex Harvey rumour, he did have a reputation of being a bit of a screwball.

• Great memories, Ernie. Thanks for sharing!

• Hi Folks, sorry if that last post read like a leaper fuelled stream of consciousness, or just plain verbal diarrhoea, from a guy from nowhere. 

I’ve been a regular lurker on the forum for a couple of years but never found my voice to post anything.  I feel like I know all you regular posters because we share so much of a common cause, mainly threads and music. 

I’ve suffered with chronic depression for many years and at times it’s seemed that the madder I get, the modder I get; the clothes being a suit of armour and the music being a respite. 

In the middle of last year I got the heave-ho from my job (the pressure of which was mainly what was making me ill) and decided to try and cruise into retirement without alternative employment. The cliche “I don’t know how I ever fitted work in” has become my reality and my saving grace as far as my health is concerned. 

I have been amassing books (I have an ever growing library covering sixties fashion, music, art, film, culture and politics, as well as the revival) clothes (I’ll share my January Sales haul with you in the “What I bought today” or “Show us your shoes” threads) and music (I’m mainly digital, my vinyl is mostly framed and on the wall).  

Escaping the black dog of depression has kind of set me free to express myself openly and this forum of like minded individuals would seem to be the ideal platform to share the sheer joy of modernism’s opportunities. 

I look forward to sharing purchases, views , reviews and just plain old banter with you all in the near future. 

• I only know firsthand of your depression, Steve as I am in the same boat as these lads are aware already. Over the years - in good and bad times - on MG, I have drawn some strength from them. You are not alone, ergo my friend request.

You don't have to apologise to any of us who are regulars on here. Looking forward to hearing from you... especially on my thread of 'What I bought today' ;-)

Love in Mod,

[The Other Posh] Bec[s]

(Australia)

X

• Welcome to MG Steve. There's some really good people here. Looking forward to your input mate :-)

• Welcome on to the site Steve. As Gary says it is a friendly bunch mostly (unless you diss Gary's pooch ha ha). It is always good to hear other opinions so we will look forward to your slant. It is very brave of you to come on a public forum and talk about your depression, I really hope it helps.

• Thanks Chris, appreciate you kind words and welcome. 

• A pleasure Steve. There are a lot of really good people on here so you will fit in fine.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: