Forum

What Gig's Have You Been To?

Couldn't see a thread dedicated to live music.

I went to see The Specials last night at Rock City,Nottingham.  Good gig small venue (about 2500).  Decent atmosphere.  Was almost a very short concert with Mr Hall threatening to walk off after bottles were thrown.  It seems some people just can't help acting like idiots.  Some well dressed folks about too.  I'm always blown away when I see a women skinheads, a male skinhead so what?  But a woman skinhead that takes guts.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's a chat room, that's what happens in an open forum. 

• OK. Why is everybody else weighing in on what is a difference of opinion openly expressed ? And getting hold of the wrong end of the stick into the bargain. It's a conversation that is trying to find a way through the mostly tangled and ill-informed history and origins of mod culture. Everybody seems to think they know what it is, and what it isn't; that probably includes me but what I am able to put up for thought is memory rather than revision and guesswork backed up by opinion and wishful thinking. Mod culture, in its origins, stemmed strictly from working class culture: it was a breakout. A lot of the time it wasn't particularly pleasant and nobody believed they were part of some weird club or cult. The glue, if you like, that held it all together wasn't fashion or even music - they were the top dressing - was a determination not to end up working in the sausage factory, and to do whatever you could to avoid it.

• Have a great night anyway Steve! The money is going to a good cause and I'm all for going to gigs that support others who need the money...

• Thank you!:-)

• Well put sir

• It didn't come across patronising to me. I like the idea of the snowball, picking up post punk, Acid Jazz and the best of Britpop along the way, with everyone in turn picking his/her own preferences.

• Thanks Snow Runner, I wasn’t apologising for my opinion of what constitutes Mod; like you, I think it constantly evolves. It was just that I’d upset Ernie by evidently patronising him, although nothing was further from my intention, and for this transgression the apology stands. 

• Steve you have nothing to apologise for. We have had this conversation on here many times. Mod has moved on. You can listen to jazz  blues, soul, roots, 60s pop and all the modern and 80s mod groups. It's up to you. If mod is stuck in the history books then it is dead. I for one do not believe this and we need to have our own modern mod music and style. That means music and style that we like now. Not just rehash things from 60 years ago.

• Ernie, I’m mortified, I can feel my cheeks burning, never intended to patronise, please accept my apologies, if that’s the way it came across, I’m truly sorry  

This is absolutely a conversation I want to continue; hearing it from those who experienced it first hand is a big part of why I joined the site. 

I’m particularly  interested in your comment about gospel being played at the 100 Club. I’ve been looking at Jasmine Records Club Beat series which covers jazz, ska, soul and gospel, billing them as “the original sound of UK club land”.  I wondered how gospel fitted into the club format, just couldn’t imagine it and have never read of it in any contemporary accounts of the time. Do you have a perspective on this, I’m intrigued? What got played and did people dance to it?

• I can do without being patronised. If it's a conversation you don't want to continue, just say that; there's no side on it.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...