Forum

What Gig's Have You Been To?

Couldn't see a thread dedicated to live music.

I went to see The Specials last night at Rock City,Nottingham.  Good gig small venue (about 2500).  Decent atmosphere.  Was almost a very short concert with Mr Hall threatening to walk off after bottles were thrown.  It seems some people just can't help acting like idiots.  Some well dressed folks about too.  I'm always blown away when I see a women skinheads, a male skinhead so what?  But a woman skinhead that takes guts.

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Fine post Sohomod. I hope the recollections keep coming from both yourself and Ernie.

• Thanks for sharing your memories - both Ernie and Sohomod - as it's always been the 1960s Originals that I draw my inspiration from. I don't try to reimagine or relive an era I wasn't born in, as that is stupid and futile. The Aussie 1960s Mods weren't parka wearing, scooter riding, Rocker bashing Mods, either.

I always get asked about my clothes and if I wished I lived in the 1960s. As a woman, I often reply:  "For the music and clothing - yes. But as a woman, no..." The very idea a [Western] woman had to 'know her place' and had to be married before she open a bank account, let alone have access to the Pill back then, is just as demeaning and backwards as some modern [Eastern] women face other struggles in the 21st century.

Yes, the Internet of my generation has done a lot of good things and bad things as far as the Mod scene goes. One of the few positives of it, is this Forum...

• I suppose the thing is Ernie that it’s a very broad church and, to my mind, all the better for it. You mention the Stones and their interminable covers but Otis himself repaid the complement by taking Satisfaction to the next level.  

There is no bottom or top to this, it’s just a great big snowball of Mod rolling down a hill, indiscriminately  picking up influences wherever it touches. Mercifully there are those like you Ernie, swept up early on the snowball’s journey, keeping the history alive. 

• Thanks for filling in the gaps Ernie. 

• There was a tour in 1962 or 1963, featuring Rosetta Tharpe, Gary Davis, Otis Spann and a number of other artists. It started in London and was billed as a Gospel Tour; I think it went North afterwards. They played solo sets, with pickup bands, and after the show some of them would go to the clubs for late sessions, mostly after hours when you could drink behind closed doors. The 100 was one of thsoe clubs, bit like the Florida was for jazz artists. Sometimes the Art Wood Group would play pickup for them, being more or less the houseband at the 100 for a while. They were OK, a bit clumsy, but better than most. I also remember seeing Sonny Boy Williamson (the version without teeth) around the same time, but he was an r'n'b player really. And Champion Jack Dupree, who was a tough piece of work. He eventually moved p North to live, having run out of people to con in London. These would usually be midweek nights and so the crowd would mostly be black polo necks, but the atmosphere was good. Plenty of records to listen to as well, although I wouldn't go so far as to say they had a DJ, however primitive they were in those days.

My understanding was that th100 Club was originally a wartime jazz club, so always had an affinity with blues, soul and gospel music. It was sold on some time in the 50s or 60s to a Jeff something (not Kruger) and he kept it goinfg in that style, eventually providing the room for the new British groups that fitted that bill. It started to go broke in the 70s and I read that he then started to book punk bands and saved the place, later on Northern Soul nights. It was a good basement space, big with a astage you get close to. I also remember seeing Mae Mercer perform there; she was coming to the end of her career, but was truly powerful.

• I could absolutely see that Steve. I think he maybe just felt a bit picked upon in the end. 

• Great ,good for you enjoy 

• I’ll second that Chris, it was never my intention to offend and certainly not to patronise anybody. I also acknowledged and appreciated Ernie’s memories and contribution. 

• I really hope you keep contributing and do not let others put you off doing so Ernie. It has been great hearing your accounts of the early Mod days and it would be a real loss to the site if you packed it in.

• Good luck in your chat room in your open forum in your broad church. Stroll on. I'm off out having a life.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...