Forum

What I bought today...

Just thought that I'd start this topic as nobody has [bothered?] to start it yet!

I was in one of my local charity shops today and bought these women's basket-weave, tassel loafers for only $8.50 AUD! Absolutely brill, to say the least! ;-) Now I can wear them with my new trousers from Sportscraft (see link below) and my Ben Sherman boating blazers! They were made by Australian shoe manufacturer Sandler, as part of their "Easy Steps" collection which still exists today. I think these shoes were an absolute find and would make excellent work and leisure (by that I mean dancing) shoes!

I also picked up two of my lay-aways. The first being two pairs of capris trousers - one pair in black and another in navy. Don't let the "capri" style fool you. They actually look like full-length trouser on me. I paid $105 AUD for each pair, instead of $150.

http://www.sportscraft.com.au/eva-capri-pants/w1/i6641480/

The second lay-away I picked up today was this lovely dress from Target that I purchased on sale a couple of months ago!

Happy shopping my Mod brothers and sisters! Look forward to reading and seeing what you've bought!

Bec

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not much of a suit guy (hides), but picked an AOL navy suit off Fleabay for £100, no changes needed as it was exactly my size, didn't even have to adjust the sleeves or inside leg...which is very rare for me.

• If it's as good as it looks in the photograph you've done very well !

• Looks great Andy, doesn't look worn, fits like a glove, couldn't ask for more really. 

• Good price; and if it fits well, all the better! Know what you mean about not being a "suit guy"; I prefer combining blazers/jackets with different trousers...

• Yep, I always feel that I'm dressed for a wedding if I wear one, which is ok...if you're at a wedding.

• Not today but Monday, I was strolling through a branch of Debenhams, not really looking for anything when a   Rjr John Rocha grey d/b jacket caught my attention. Normally I have jackets/trousers made cos off the peg for me are normally not quite right for various reasons. However this one was virtually perfect I couldn't believe it ! Then I discovered it was reduced down from about £270 to £120 ! Absolutely delighted !

• This Homme Heritage blazer from John Lewis http://www.johnlewis.com/selected-homme-halifax-blazer-navy/p174980… isn't  a bad travel blazer Steve, and is quite reliable on long hauls. A step up from the John Lewis Kin range but stylish, robust and resilient so perhaps worth a look. 

• Thanks for the tips so far. Oddly I've just ordered the Orvis Harrington jacket which will form part of my daywear. Will check out their traveller jacket too. I've already got two Smedley merino long sleeves tops going in the bag, and the ideal of a formal jacket for evenings out in Vienna appealed more than another jumper. Most of my stuff (jeans/chinos) will be rolled and I'm quite use to frugal packing as my wife likes to bag 60% of the bag for her stuff. 

The Gibson one looks ok too, so as it stands it's that one and the Orvis that I'll look at in more detail. Any other suggestions gratefully received. I did see a jacket in John Lewis yesterday from their Kin range. It was ok but came up a little too short in the body.

• Hi guys n gals, this is more of a cry for help :-) and was hoping to gain some helpful suggestions.

My wife and I are off on a 10 day tour of Germany & Austria including a couple of nights in France too. We're travelling light (think of a small suitcase) so I'm limited on what I can take with me clothes wise. We've got a couple of two night stays in Salzburg & Vienna in 4 Star hotels, and when we go out in the evening I wanted to dress up a little. Day wear will be jeans and a Harrington with dessies etc, but for the evening I'm thinking of chino's and a blazer (no tie) maybe loafers etc.

Here's the problem. I need a blazer than can be folder up in a case and still look good when taken out after a days travelling, which to my mind rules out Linen. I'm ideally after a 3 button, cotton blazer in navy (probably unlined) which can take the punishment of being contained in a case for 12 hours each day but still look reasonably smart come evening time.

It doesn't have to be razor sharp as Chino's tend to end up fairly creased up as well. Kind of looking for the Englishman abroad look. Stylish & Smart but not overdoing it if you get my drift. I'll be wearing shirts & polo's underneath.

The "travelling" jackets I've seen are a little too much "old man" if you get my drift. Any one come across such a garment? if so a link to the supplier would be great.

Cheers, Steve

• If you roll your clothes up instead of folding them, they won't crease so much. Might be better to have a couple of thicker Italian knits instead of a jacket, less formal but still smart in chillier weather. Englishman abroad ? Could be anything from a pith helmet to a Page Three T-shirt :)

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: