What I bought today...

Just thought that I'd start this topic as nobody has [bothered?] to start it yet!

I was in one of my local charity shops today and bought these women's basket-weave, tassel loafers for only $8.50 AUD! Absolutely brill, to say the least! ;-) Now I can wear them with my new trousers from Sportscraft (see link below) and my Ben Sherman boating blazers! They were made by Australian shoe manufacturer Sandler, as part of their "Easy Steps" collection which still exists today. I think these shoes were an absolute find and would make excellent work and leisure (by that I mean dancing) shoes!

I also picked up two of my lay-aways. The first being two pairs of capris trousers - one pair in black and another in navy. Don't let the "capri" style fool you. They actually look like full-length trouser on me. I paid $105 AUD for each pair, instead of $150.

http://www.sportscraft.com.au/eva-capri-pants/w1/i6641480/

The second lay-away I picked up today was this lovely dress from Target that I purchased on sale a couple of months ago!

Happy shopping my Mod brothers and sisters! Look forward to reading and seeing what you've bought!

Bec

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the replies. 
    Good luck in the new gaff Becs. 
    Sorry to learn you were attacked Snow Runner - I enjoy a bit of back and forth banter and if I post a pic of my threads of course it's nice to get compliments but I probably learn more if there is some constructive criticism thrown in from time to time. Clearly no need for you to be abused for doing so. I never witnessed that myself but it's bang out of order. 
    As for trainers - I like a few vintage adidas myself and think that done properly they are a legit component of The Look but I also welcome dissent too, as the last thing I want to see among our adherents is monolithic attitudes and uniform styles which is way too reminiscent of my clueless revival days - parka, cheap two-tone suit and jam shoes!

And lastly - SohoMod thanks for your input. I was probably being a bit facetious in suggesting that we merge the forums but I do remain puzzled that so many people sign up both here and at Modculture and then contribute so little. On that topic I have to say I LOVE your contributions. I got into this whole scene originally via my attraction to the power pop and sharp suits of The Jam. I started to copy their style thinking it was a palatable aspect of punk and didn't realise that I'd by default become the first Mod in my school in 1978! I got swept up in the revival and those aforementioned clueless clothing items before discovering the Richard Barnes 'Mods!' book and realising those underground cats of the very early sixties were sooooo much cooler than me and my set. Several lads moved on around that time but me and a couple of other die hards became even more dedicated and doubled our efforts to try to emulate your generation's take on the scene. I've tried to catalogue my Mod journey in various posts on rodsmodblog.wordpress.com but I maintain a reverence for the time that you experienced and people like you and your peers who started this whole thing off. The main difference to me between the original early sixties lads and people of my revival generation is that your crew were constantly moving, changing, pushing forward with one upmanship whilst me and my group tend to look backwards with a reverence for the styles of your era. Evolution still continues sometimes for better,, sometimes not so much, and I hope the best of us avoid falling into sixties cosplay, but rather dress for today while acknowledging a fairly strong influence from what was in my view the ne plus ultra period of menswear! Have you ever thought of compiling your memories somewhere for public view? There have been a couple of books out in recent years - A New Religion, Sawdust Caesars etc which have tried to compile the memories and anecdotes of the original Mods and done a good job IMO but I can't get enough of that!

Anyway forgive the wall of text - just wanted to underline my sadness that these two Mod-centric online forums seem to have so little traffic these days and wonder out loud what happened to everyone. I've been with The Look for so long that I don't see myself giving it up now even if current events mean there are less excuses to get suited and booted. Maybe there's some light with the distribution of vaccines and that may bring about a backlash against slobbery that sees us all reaching for our best threads again before long. I live in hope!
    Best wishes to all of you out there!

• Sorry I haven't been on here for a while, I am recovering from the loss of my relationship with Michael. As a consequence of this, I have been asked to move out, so I will be losing my coveted walk-in-robe. :-( On the plus side, despite having been unsuccessful in securing a rental, my mother has more than generously given me most of the her inheritance that she got from my grandparents. So I went to a house inspection last Saturday, told the agent what's happened and that I could put a 10% deposit on the unit in 2 1/2 weeks, due to the fact my mother is giving me the money, with a 30 day settlement... Long story short, I got it! :-D I signed the contract today! It is a 3 bedroom unit. Here is a photo...

8506551868?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's small, which may mean I have to downsize somewhat, so you may see me advertising some stuff in the classfieds. ;-) I have built in wardrobes of various sizes in each of the bedrooms too. :-/

Thank you all in advance for your friendships, despite the distances and this awful COVID-19 which is keeping us all more apart than ever.

Love in Mod and still Keeping the Faith,

Bec

• Very well done. I wish you great happiness in your new home. 

• Sounds like you've got it all under control Becs, good on you. Having your own place provides such a sense of security, I'm sure you'll kick on from there. I don't imagine culling the wardrobes will be an easy task but know you'll retain your style. I want to see what you do to the place once you get you mitts of it. 
      Stay safe and well.  

• Good luck to you Bec in your new home -looks spot on .

fine spot under those trees for drinking rum .

• Is it time to shut this forum down?

Despite a seemingly robust membership, unless my iPhone is acting up on the updates, there hasn't been a single new post in over a month. 

Is this yet another forum that has been eclipsed by Facebook? I'm not on Facebook and have no desire to join. 

It would be sad if the forum died as there's a nice bunch of folks on here. I'm also a member of the Modculture forum which has some equally cool cats but is also suffering from apathy - maybe combining the membership of both forums would boost participation?? I've never liked the format over here and Modculture is a lot easier to navigate. 

Lately if you took away people posting pictures of their CDs the activity here would look even more sad. I have zero interest in what other people are listening to but at least those posts kept things rolling. 
    What do you all think the future of this is going to be. Will forums like this survive or go the way of friends reunited?

• Hi Rod,

In answer to your question..mine is maybe, reluctantly. Intially this Form was an explosion of ideas and questions, such as Who Wore White socks? To Harrington or Not? or What Would you Never Wear? The replies were witty and plenty of people going for it, old and young. BUT ..the last three years inspite of some people's best efforts it became a slave to What I Bought Today and What Are you Wearing..not knocking those ideas but people could only either say "love the style mate" to a pic or pretty much remain silent. 

Some great people withdrew as a result and there you have it. 

• I agree with what you say. But for me the problem came when if you criticised something or someone,  you were jumped on and treated like a criminal . I have been roundly abused at time and at one time offered out for a fight. This was even more surprising as the member concerned works as a professional marital arts teacher. And so I've tended to be silent more and more.

• I have to say most of the banter was leg pulling, 
      I do however think some went to far, especially in regard to SR, who on occasion was subjected to some vile name calling.

Having said that, I had the pleasure to meet quite a few of the once regular chaps on here.

All I can say is they really were first class gentlemen, there was a golden period of about 5 years of meeting up in Brighton and elsewhere.

Shoutout to the Glasgow boys who I have nothing but laughs with 

• I think I remeber that, Snowrunner. For me it was the Trainers thread. I was very much in the mode that putting on a pair of Vietnam made "retro" trainers does not maketh the man/ girl. Unfortunately some disagreed strongly, and I left for a safe house, changed my name, and now live under an alias in another country as part of the mod protection programme.....

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS:

More content...