Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I play R&B, blues and soul (with the occasional bit of jazz, latin, ska or British beat) when I DJ at mod dos (or anywhere else for that matter) - errrrm because .....

• I went to a Mod do about three years ago. I was supporting Mark Rowlison who was trying to promote  The Peppermint Lounge in South Wimbledon (I think). I have not spent a great deal of time in South London, so I am not too sure .

Mark and his wife were smashing, He wore "The Coat" and was showing his moves on the dance floor and was a good sport.                                                                                                                       Having followed the thread on here, I will give my impression of this particular experience, I do not know if it was typical. I don't know if the gig is still going. I hope so because Mark was trying to get a scene going which I am sure everyone here applauds that.

Because I only go to live listen to live music in the normal way, the first thing that struck me was how much it depends upon the DJ, what we had to listen to. Both my children were into Mod, I had a idea what to expect. In the event I heard very little of what I would recognize as Mod. What concerned me more was that apart from two young women who danced continually, I did not speak to anyone who did much like what they were hearing. There was a group of guys from the Cheam Scooter club, good regular blokes who were not at home with the music. My memory of the music was that it was full of energy and fast but lacked any soul. By soul I don't mean "soul" music but warmth perhaps.

When you listen to live music, you can normally find out about the band/s, so within a little you can know what to expect. So I suppose now it is the DJ you have to follow or suss out. I don't know if this is typical.

I would always prefer to listen to live music. It is not always up to the standard of recording, but it happens once, you feel part of it and sometimes something special happen and you feel part of it. 

• I can't speak for everyone but for most of us, DJing on the mod scene is a rather expensive hobby and a labour of love. We spend a fortune on sourcing original vinyl & are usually lucky if we even cover the cost of transport & accommodation when we play out! I'm not complaining, we do it because we love it - but "make a good living"? You really are having a bubble, mate!

• So is it possible to make it pay?. It is not my scene so I have no idea. I understand people like Boy George are famous for being successful as a DJ but it may not be feasible on the Mod scene.

If that is the case, it is a shame, because unless it is a regular gig, the people attending do not know what to expect and the DJ has to be clued in enough to read the room. On the other hand he/she can play their own favourites because they like it like that I suppose.

• If we weren't clued up enough to read a room - I doubt we'd ever get asked back, John 

• Well it wasn't  my idea that they liked it like that. I have only been to one Mod gig and the only guy in the room enjoying the music appeared to be the DJ. I doubt he got asked back

• That was probably me 

• Oh I can't believe that. I am sure you are a very good DJ Ian, and I wish you every success.

• I think you would do okay if it was a second job and you were not travelling John. Some of the DJs spend incredible amounts on a single 45 right enough so it would take a long time to recoup such outlays.
This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: