Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks good John. When was it recorded?
    • It was released in 1958 Kai but recorded in 56 and 58 I think. Along with Lady in Autumn they are the best albums Billie ever released because they would be worth buying for the instrumentals, let alone The Lady herself.

• Thanks John; will check that out. All I got by Lady Day is a 4 CD Best of Box.
    • I have been buying Billie records,tapes and cd's for years Kai. It wasn't until Sinatra, who used to sing with Tommy Dorsey, became famous in his own right that band vocalists were given the recognition they deserved.

Because of this they were almost incidental.It was only in their later stuff that the production was centred around the singer to the extent that from being incidental, on her later stuff, the albums were promoted as Billie Holiday and her band or orchestra. The line was some times a line up with Lester Young,Coleman Hawkins,Ben Webster and Gerry Mulligan in the sax line up.

Fine and Mellow, check it out  on You Tube,   is a track from Lady in Autumn. Billie formed a long and lasting association with Lester Young. They were very good friends but not lovers apparently. All or nothing At All was different insofar as Ben Webster was the lead musician.

I don't think she is the focal point her earlier stuff, which are generally promoted in box sets. In these, to me, she appears to be singing against the band. I have such a set with her work from 1936 - 1951. 

• I'm a big fan of Abbey Lincoln myself, who also was accompanied by high potential line ups on her early 60s recordings (often billed as Abbey Lincoln and Max Roach). Will definitely look into those you recommended; cheers!
    • You are welcome Kai. Abbey Lincoln is a fine singer. I don't buy much these day, I tend to cheat and peruse the jazzsingerschannel on you tube.

I know of a German bloke though who appears to live in record shop judging by some of the pics he posts, lucky sod.

• Who could that be, haha!
  • Despite the film it's my favourite Who album.

• I have to agree there. A brilliant album, that stands the ultimate test of time.

• That's the Key Gary, it still sounds fresh to me.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: