Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I knew you would be up with the technology Chris, a Mod to your finger tips.

By the way were you affected by the fire in Glasgow?, it looked horrendous.

• Hi John. Thanks for the thoughts but the fire was in the city centre whereas I am now out in the suburbs to the north of Glasgow. The fire was pretty widespread and has devastated a couple of places close to my heart. One is possibly amongst the oldest Chinese restaurants in Glasgow and a place I was in less than a month ago. Directly above that was a club I used to go to that was also a really good venue for gigs. I saw the Purple Hearts there in Feb 1982 and a year later the Truth. Great memories of both gigs.

• Hii John. Yeah I saw that programme when it was first aired a few years ago. Long before that I had formed my opinion about the vandalism the city authorities had inflicted upon Glasgow. Many a thriving part of the city was torn down in order to build dual carriageways and create empty spaces. It was as if they were trying their level best to depopulate the city and drive people into the new towns that had been built around it. I know at the time the housing stock was terrible (1 in 3 houses in Glasgow in 1966 had no indoor toilets) but the houses were good quality and just needed revamped not knocking down.  As you rightly say some of the housing they built as replacements were a disgrace. They were badly thought out, badly built, and some did not last much more than a decade due to dampness issues. The only thing I could not wholly agree with the programme was that it seemed to indicate that the destruction was in the dark days of the past. Sadly I have lost count of the  amount of old listed buildings that have mysteriously caught fire in the past decade and have had to be knocked down. Cromwell did less destruction than these chancers.

• Well without getting too arty Chris, architecture is the most common art form in our every day lives. It seems that the only time this becomes a consideration when the green belt is threatened. Then the thought of housing developments endangering the leafy ideal takes precedence over the needs of the people living like sardines in the towns and cities. The fact that the leafy ideals would not exist without the wealth-generated in the towns and cities do not seem to be a factor.

Consequently high rise functional cocrete boxes were built. There was a joke in the sixties that referred to this type of development. "They knocked our houses down and built a slum". It was obvious to many what was happening.

Golf courses take up more land than housing in the UK. Nice.

I don't know if you saw the BBC series 'The Secret History of Our Streets, Duke Street , Glasgow'. I found the people in it who fought against all the odds to retain their home and environment inspirational. The programme examined the destruction that the Corporation inflicted on the area and the people when they destroyed their homes to build concrete boxes. I would recommend this programme to anyone who missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMBWFPvcYo&t=15s

See You Jimmy :-)

• I know exactly what you mean John as the same thing sadly happened in Glasgow. From the 1960s onwards the old corporation and then the council wrecked the city, replacing so many old amazing buildings with car parks and shopping centres. I love looking at old images of the city but it is also difficult seeing how it used to be compared to the soulless place much of it is now. 

• Good news and bad news then Chris.

I know exactly how you feel. It is sad when you see the things you associate with your memories and past erased. The most obvious example of this in London is when pubs that were iconic, because of their importance in the community and the great times you have had in them in the past are demolished for redevelopment or become a Tesco express or similar. 

I have moved out of the East End to North London. My family lived in the East End for over three hundred years. I am the only one left living London, let alone the East End. I dread driving through there now, in reality the East End that I knew has disappered and the rest of my family clocked it and moved on years ago.

Just thought I'd try to cheer you up lol.

• True.

• Cheers  Kai. It was on the national news here and part of Sauchiehall st is still closed off. Thankfully no one was hurt and that is the most important thing of all.

• Sorry to hear that, Chris. Missed it on the news, obviously...

• This reply was deleted.
    • So the big question is Gary me old mate, what are your lottery numbers for this Saturday ?

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: