Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not quite on my turntable just now, but was listening to this great album by Frankie Miller yesterday. It is from the mid 1970s  but Milers voice is just amazing. If someone had played it to me without knowing who it was I would have sworn it was a black US soul singer. Well worth a listen if anyone has the chance.

• A lot better than the last two you recommended to me Chris:-).

Good singer I don't know whether to call him Otis Stewart or Rod Redding. Haven't heard him before but being from Glasgow you must have Chris.

• It is only in the past few years that I have listened to Frankie Miller to any extent John. Prior to that I had heard hits like 'Darling' and saw him acting in a really good Play for Today. By sheer chance I saw a copy of his version of Marvin Gaye's 'Stubborn Kind of Fellow' and gave it a try. You are spot on, his voice is like a combination of Rod the Mod and Otis Redding, which is some compliment.

• I've been listening to him Chris. I have contacted one of my nephews who is involved in bands and singing and told him to check him out. I don't understand why he isn't better known. especially when you compare him with some 'popular' singers.

By the way Chris I don't know if you saw Blitz Saturday evening BBC2, it was about a bombs that dropped on Clydebank when the ship yards were being bombed.

Those "Bankies" have got some effing style.

• when you consider how good a voice Miller had, plus the strength of his songwriting it is a mystery why he did not achieve more commercial success John. Maybe his music just did not  fit his era as it sounds to me as if it would have been better suited to the audiences from the late 1960s.

I have been watching the Canadian crime/gore thriller 'cardinal' for the past few weeks so have missed the Blitz programmes. They do look really interesting and I will certainly see them on catch up. Considering the amount of shipyards and railworks in Glasgow during the war years we did remarkebly well to escape most of the bombing. As you say, Clydebank was the one exception to that.

• It's not only his voice Chris he has "it" and you either have it or you don't. I have been reading that he was really admired by international stars. If he had other problems the media would have been on him like a dinner and it would have been known on "the street" in Glasgow.

I stopped watching The Voice years ago because I could not understand  how some people were rejected whilst other progressed because it seemd to me that it had little to do with the quality of the voices that I was hearing. It does make you wonder what is going on sometimes.

I watched Cardinal. I was very disappointed with the way it ended. The North Wind character has been built into some evil monster with super natural powers and proved to be quite ordinary at the end, whilst the Hells Angels who when they arrived had done nothing wrong put their hands up and surrendered. They were not surrounded and yet not one of them turned their bike around and rode off.Left me well disappointed, I thought the series warranted a stronger ending.

• As far as I aware Frankie Millers only vices were cigarettes ans alcohol John. You are spot on in that his talent is held in very high esteem by his peers. It is just a slight pity it was not reflected in record sales. I suppose books could be written about talented singers and songwriters who come into the same bracket. I am with you and agree that he had 'it.' i refrain from saying he had the .....factor.

I enjoyed the majority of the Cardinal programme but the ending was unsatisfactory on a few fronts. I see that in quite a lot in programmes and films that are mostly really good; it is as if the writer does not have the skill to finish to the same standard as what preceded it and it just comes over as rushed.

• A Yusef Lateef night tonight, my friend... Enjoy the new additions Kai ;0)

• Suite 16 has been around for a while, Gary; but I'll enjoy never the less... ;-)

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: