Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That sounds like a good day SR, enjoy...

• Thank you Gary. Out playing later mind you. I'm sure you will be lovely and cool in and on the water!

• A really lovely sound Kai... Nice one ;0)

• I love the spare but clever arrangements on this!

• I wonder how many mods aren't really into 'mod music'.

Maybe I could start my own mod spin off movement.

• What's Mod music then Dave? Music that Mods like?

• Yeah, it seems to have a theme running through the thread :o), mainly old music and new music that sounds old.

• Dave, I think music is the difference between Moderninst and Mods. I was fortunate to see Coleman Hawkins live in the sixties. He was almost Godlike in jazz circles. He was the first to dispense with the obligatory play the tune and then improvise. He did this with Body and Soul. Which just happens to be one of my favourite songs anyway.

The point is i was about twent two or three and Hawkins was sixty three.  I saw him with my mate was about twenty five

. I always got the feeling that most of the people in The Marquee and Flamingo were there because of the clothes and the style associated with being a Modernist. Scotts when it was in Gerrard Street wasn't like that it was pretty scruffy and mainly older people who did not wear the gear. The forgoing were the three places for Soho Modernists. Anyone who says otherwise wasn't there.I,m seventy eight but look a good fortnight younger, so I doubt there are many left who can argue the point.

Compare that with what happenned when the Mods came along. These were kids listening to band that where not much older than they were. I was a Soho Modernist for about three or tops four years. From what I have read on here when Original Mods posted this was how long there Mod experience lasted.

I still see posts on here from people who still listen to Georgie Fame, he is seventy five now so it seems to me that is not too different from me going to see Coleman Hawkins

I think you are right insofar that the pleasure that music gives is as much about memory and experience as it is about the moment and I suppose the influences are carried on by successive bands, so it is not surprising that it can sound familiar.

I think yours is an interesting post because it questions what is happening and I am always interested in ideas.  I would welcome it if you could develop what you mean. I may not get it or agree with it, but I would like to hear what you have to say. We used to have some interesting discussions on here, it would certainly make a change.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: