Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Getting a bit bumpy on here. isn't it ? I mean, mods with attitude, whatever next ?

As one of those 'old mods' born so long ago you must all think when we saw a seaside fight it featured William The Conqueror and Harold, I would say that although 'mod' may well have now become (or maybe that's a bit of a fantasy, too) a universal collective movement of love, harmony, respect and a desire to run the world, that is actually nothing to do with mod. Mod is mostly style; not all mods liked each other, there wasn't some kind of special glue that held them all together - the name of the game was being an individual and eventually that's why it disappeared. It was a skyrocket, not a long-term project - whoosh, one brilliant soaring slash across a dark sky. After a while,  you thought to take a step back and try and see where it's headed - you are, believe it or not, a little older than you were a couple of years ago. What I think people tried to do was keep their likes and dislikes - even their passions - and fit them into their chaging lives. Some couldn't and they either became casualties (plenty of temptations around) or just got stuck on a carousel. Carousels are alright but eventually you notice you're surrounded by children; thing is to get off when the music changes.

So when did it all change? Ask some old mod, dribbling and drooling; you'll get a different answer from each one. With any luck they'll piss you off no end - attitude, see ?

• I know Ernie, whoever would have thought it. Every now and then a handbags type argument breaks out and then before you know it people go back to their cup of Tetley with a chocolate digestive and act adult again. Some very pertinent points there. I love the scene and going to nights out with likeminded people but it most certainly was not always that way. In Glasgow we had some pretty serious trouble between different Mod teams. We were all young and daft then and that probably just about explains it. 

I am doubtful about Mod ever again becoming a youth scene the way it was in the early to mid 60s or the late 70s early 80s, but if it is to it may have to die out and come back again instead of lingering on as a pursuit for people who were first into it many decades ago.

• Ha-ha, no arguments Ernie, just every now and again, they will be a disagreement, all quite normal, after all, it simply wouldn't do if everyone agreed with everyone, on everything. I for one would never lose my respect for the guys on here, who have, in my opinion became my friends. Facebook however, is a different matter, some real gobshites on there, claim to be part of the Mod thing too, one or two have gave me some proper verbal, called me some detrimental names too.....Ha-ha, never mind though, their names are burnt into my memory, a nasty shock awaits them, should I ever catch up with them at an event ;-)

• I don't do Facebook, Alan, so I don't really know, but would think it's full of people just waiting to have a pop from behind a keyboard as well as people who genuinely use it as a way to keep in touch with friends. Social media still seems a bit weird to me, even though here I am using it. Two weeks ago I thought it was responsible for the complete and utter destruction of life as I know it, and then my daughter fixed up Skype and I was able to talk to her face-to-face across thousands of miles. Very soon I'll be using words like 'cool'; I may even try to revive 'hip' and 'square'.

This mod life that we all connect with can get to be a bee in the bonnet, that's true, and I suppose that's really people speaking from their personal experience and somehow that gets to be the gospel truth - I'm sure I've been like that (maybe still am). I was once sitting in a cafe in Wardour St in Soho (the Kon-Tact) and on the table next to me were two blokes arguing about suits. One of them was saying something about how he was always trying to 'look different' and the other one said he was an idiot (or words to that effect) because a jacket with three sleeves was 'different'. I laughed so much that I've remembered it the rest of my life.

• I use FB mainly to keep in touch with friends and to be kept informed about gigs and other things that interest me Ernie. I do realise though, that it's inevitable that it (FB) or social media in general, is a safe way for those not normally brave enough face to face, to give others grief whilst sat at the keyboard in the safety of their own homes. I notice that these courageous warriors rarely have a profile or any other pics of themselves, either......Ha-ha.

• Yes, there's nothing better then FB regarding gigs and do's. I'm trying (successfully) to keep it stricktly Mod; sorry for neighbours and work mates, but I won't accept their requests. :-)

• Uh-oh... hope I'm not among them, Alan...!?

No, seriously, what you said about friends is true. Can't wait to have a beer or two with you in just a little while... :-)

• Ha-ha, no Kai, these two particular clowns were friends of friends of friends, so-to-speak. Yes really looking forward to seeing you and Chris, though I am a little worried at the moment, the wife has just got chicken pox and though she will have recovered by Troon, if I get it, it takes two to three weeks to come out and that is right when Troon is :-(

• Oh dear, I wish Mrs S. a speedy recovery and hope for you to not have caught it. Fingers crossed!

• Me too Kai, we go to see Wilko Johnson tomorrow night, so that will be interesting...Ha-ha.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: