Forum

What's on your turntable right now?

Hi guys,I am curious to know what your playing right now or any songs that seems to be always hanging around your turntable.I am sure I'm going to discover some cool tracks.So... don't be shy and let me know.As far as I am concerned this one since to be always around and playing at the moment: Cheers,Laurent,Les BOF!

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A little Otis this morning, then off to the Airport again.

• I into Modern Jazz at the mo - Jimmy McGriff is the thing.  I go through fads of listening to most things, but okay - this is slightly unrelated, but I really need to know.  What in God's name is Freakbeat?  Being an old fart and out of touch.  How does it fit into the mod scene?  What's it's origin?

I'm hoping I know it as something else.  You know the way we know proper R&B and you know how these young whipper snappers call funky rap rubbish, all twerking and tacky gold hot pants, as R&B. LOL.

Freakbeat - wot is it?

• I´d say it´s the short period when when bands played no longer R&B but before it was proper Psychedelia... The Creation, The Eyes, Fleur de Lys, early Move, Johns Children etc. Stuff like that released on the Rubble compilations in the ´80s...

• Thanks Kai for letting me know.  I thought it would be something I knew, as something else.  I would have called it R&B on the turn to Psyc.

Probably the best part (musically) of the mod scene is the broad cross section of music, whatever it gets called these days there really is something for everyone.

• No problem Trevor; don't know if I'm 100% right, though.
    • Freakbeat is Pop Art-Rock, isn't it?. I like the bands you have enumerated and I don't mind if they were mods or not. Can we consider The Who was a freakbeat band?. 

In Spain this is an eternal discussion in the mod scene.

• Mmm! The Who went through many incarnations as a group. From Skiffle to Jazz to Blues and R&B before settling down as a Rock band (Mr. Townshend is currently exploring Classical). I've yet to hear any Freakbeat by The Who but I could be wrong. Some bands can play anything to make a buck from time to time.

• I stand corrected. The Who - The Who Sell Out and The Who - A Quick One albums, were the groups contribution to Freakbeat so I've been advised from a reliable source.

Every day's a day to learn something new and I hope I don't die before I get old ;0)

• Not an obsession SR and true it's all Rock&Roll but still nice to know what flavour you're getting ;0)

• In the end of course it all boils down to good music and shit music.

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: