Forum

Replies

• To hark back to the late Long John Baldry; to me he had a magnficent soulful voice and never received the acclaim that he so richly deserved. R.I.P. mate.

• A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS STUFF WELL SAID

• SORRY BUT MANFRED MANN WERE A R&B/BLUES BAND BEFORE MOVING INTO POP

• since stevie was born 20 years before weller obviously hes more orginal, weller never used mod , hes always been a mod.

• YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT DIFFERENT MOD SCENES, WHAT WAS A GREAT TRACK IN ONE CLUB IN NORTH LONDON WOULDN'T EVEN BE PLAYED IN THE EAST END AND VISA VERSA. ANOTHER FACT IS THAT THE NEW MODS THINK WE ALL HAD SCOOTERS, NOT SO, I HAD ONE IN '66 AND HUNG AROUND THE ILFORD PALAIS AND HARDLY SAW OTHER SCOOTERS AND WHEN OUR CROWD WENT OUT I'D LEAVE MINE AT HOME    PETE   P.S. THE ONLY TIME WE ALL GOT TOGETHER WAS WHEN WE WENT DOWN THE LOCAL CAFES, A COMPLETE DIFFERENT SCENE TO NOW. THE CAFE HAD A JUKE BOX AND NEVER SERVED BEER BUT WE HAD A GREAT TIME

• ONLY ONE WINNER HERE STEVE MARRIOTT, THE REAL THING NOT A COPY I'M SORRY TO SAY, BUT IT'S HARD AND UNFAIR TO JUDGE SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE AND ALL PRAISE TO ANY WHO TRY'S TOO   PETE

• Weller copied Marriott's style lock stock and barrell, as many of us of a certain age proceeded to copy Weller. Going by some of the smutter Weller's sporting these days (that godawful Pretty Green range he's lent his name to) it looks like he is now copying Steve's Packet of Three period! 

• I remember listening to Marriott being interviewed on the radio in the eighties and he was asked if he knew of Paul Weller and his group The Jam.  Steve went on to say he turned on the TV one night, and The Jam were on, to quote Marriott,  "That bloke looks like me", Marriott funnily enough never mentioned that The Jam were mods.  I don't think he made the connection and I don't think we can either.  Two different icons in their own right from two different eras. Hats off to Weller for the longevity, the man lives the lifestyle. I was a massive Style Council fan, probably as much, if not more so than The Jam. I loved (and still do) the jazz, continental sound and that harks back to early mod.  For me though Marriot was a class apart, the look and the voice were a bit special.

• Marriot was a mod the way early Slade were skins. It was a fashion. Weller has lived and breathed modernism for over 30 yrs. I'm not a Weller musical fan, by the way. Soul and Ska/Blue Beat/Reggae for me.

• yes both mod legends but its weller all the way ,he`s still a mod and they will bury him a mod

This reply was deleted.