Forum

Your scooter has a problem, what do you do?

I would like to know how do you manage your scooter problems or in other terms, are Mods good mechanics, or do you prefer avoiding to get dirty ? I reda in some books that 60's mods mostly prefered to see a professional to fix problem. How does it feel today?

Personally, i never touch the engine, but i change lights or these little kind of works...

You need to be a member of The Mod Generation to add comments!

Join The Mod Generation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Scooter problems? A shot right between the eyes , that's the only answer. ;-)

• Half the fun for me was fixing my scooters over the years. I had both Lambrettas and Vespas. Fixing them myself was also a necessity because I was always skint most of the time and I bought mostly basket case machines with clutches burnt out, points ether closed up or just plain worn out. God !! writing this I've just remembered getting rollockings from my mum for using her saucepans for boiling carburettors up in. That worked wonders for none starters. brake shoes the lot ! Happy days 

• I'm from the Darkside of scootering in more ways than one ;0) Walked to the garage on Friday to go for a ride on a sunny day. Flat tyre (tire to our american friends). I've a GTV250 Modern and there's been the odd time I've lifted the lid for the so called experts to have a look at modern technology. They've all nearly choked on their ham sandwich and said 'all sort of s*@* going on under there, mate.' I do agree that there's no better satisfaction than completing an enjoyable job yourself but this weekend I've had to unscrew the side panel take off the exhaust system, careful not to disturb the catalytic sensors and gubins. Undo the shocks and remove a connector plate before even getting a sniff at the wheel bolts! After all that it turns out I had a leak on the rims from a recently fitted new tyre, by the dealers! 'Darker Than Blue' (It's Navy) has never missed a beat since the day we met, and has regularly been serviced at reasonable cost but I drew the line at £40 - £50 bucks just to get her down to the dealers with another estimated £45 - £70 for the repair or replacement of a flat tyre! So no other option for me, than to lie on a cold garage floor with some ipod jazz tunes for company and do the dirty deed. My dress of the day being sky blue polo, plain navy sweatshirt, 501's and a pair of nubuck walking boots all topped off with a navy beenie hat and dark blue overalls (top mod!). Wheel off, down to the dealers to rectify what they should have done right in the first place, then back home. With the exhaust off I noticed a bit of wear & tear on the exhaust system so rubbed it down and gave it a few coats of high heat matt black spray paint. Everything reassembled and ready to rock,  now waiting for the paint to dry before reattaching the exhaust, which will be sometime tomorrow. I did get out for a boogie last night but missed out on a scooter run with pals this afternoon. My hands are now shredded to pieces with dirt under my fingernails and a lovely purple blood blister to match my cufflinks. Whilst I may say it was satisfying, but only in the relief of finishing the job. The moral of this tale for any youngsters reading this, is stay in school, get a good education because being able to pay for someone else to do the dirty work, while enjoying the better things in life is far more satisfying and in my mind proper sussed and being a grease monkey is a load of b@**%^*$ and with all due respect not very mod ;0)      

• Well, here's my 2 pence: If you want an old scooter you'll have to be able to maintain it, if you're not willing to learn those few main points, then somebody else should have that scooter. Harsh words, but please read on...

First of all, know you're Operations-Manual, especially the maintenance intervals. Then, learn to set the ignition (in case you, like me, prefer the old points-system, which is perfectly fine if maintained right) and also get acquainted with the jetting of the carburetor. Finally, there are some roadside repairs, like changing the clutch wire, and BANG!, you're there! For more extensive work, there's the scooter-Forums, also, if you fear doing serious damage due to lack of sufficient tools or guidance, use the pros.

Don't underestimate the satisfaction of getting things right yourself. You've got to earn your rides, there's generally really not much to it! You CAN get them bullet-proof. It is often quoted, that scooters were just the perfect fashion accessories, but I feel that they've always been a bit more demanding and, hence, rewarding than that.

The focal points, in my opinion, are: dress, music, transport. Whichever you choose (or combination of any of these), you'll have to devote yourself, or else it becomes phony in quite an obvious manner.

Like I say, just my opinions...
    • i wonder if its possible to do things the old fashioned way ?

that is run a vintage scooter and take it to the pros for servicing and repairs and never get your hands dirty yourself ?

anybody here lucky enuff to be able to do that ?

maybe youve got a good classic scooter repair shop in your town ?

or youve found the one lambretta that never conks out

• It's not about not getting your hands dirty, it's about them being clean when it matters.

Of course you could have a decent shop service your ride regularly, but personally I'd go with Patrick McG. any day:

“I know every nut and bolt and cog--I built it with my own hands!”
        --No.6, concerning his car; Many Happy Returns

(And yes, the Lotus 7 was offered as a kit in its day, so he would have built it himself)
  • I actually enjoy getting my hands dirty and fixing my scoots by myself. Consider some time in the garage on my own well deserved realaxation. ;)

So far I haven't come across a problem I couldn't solve if I just let it take it's time (and with some help from google and Stickys manual). I've even done a few complete engine rebuilds and a semi-advanced tuningproject involving ported cylinder, reed petals and the works.
    I am by no means a professional mechanic but at least they're all still running...more or less anyway. ;)

• Too many bodgers, scooter boys thinking they are scooter mechanics and expensive and shit sorry but it's a fact

• Ditched scooters years ago but still into Minis .... cars that is!

• Work on my lambretta myself, but then thats why its sitting in the garage with the engine  in the kitchen...

This reply was deleted.

PLEASE SEARCH SITE BEFORE ADDING 'NEW' DISCUSSIONS: